1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Sydney, Australia

Discussion in 'US – Staffroom' started by kemerick44, Jan 27, 2019.

  1. Hello,

    I have a bachelors degree from a 4 year unversity in the US and I am looking at trying to move to Sydney to teach. My girlfriend already lives there and is a citizen but I am trying to figure out what all I need in order to get there. I’ve heard a plethora of different ways and options but all seem to conflict what the other is saying. I have 2 years teaching experience and am just trying to figure out what I need to do. Any help would be great thanks.

  2. Hi there,

    You'll need NESA accreditation to teach to teach in any kind of primary or secondary school in the state of NSW. You can only get NESA accreditation from within Australia as you need an Aussie phone number to access the online forms. Your girlfriend could help with this maybe?.

    To work in state schools in NSW, you'll also need DET registration- which you can only get from within Australia and can only get AFTER you have secured NESA accreditation.

    First and foremost, you'll need a visa. Australian schools do not sponsor teachers so look at independent visa options i.e visas that don't require a job offer to secure. The 189, 190, 489 etc... A spousal visa could also be an option. I would advise contacting a visa migration agent so you can be assessed for your eligibility for those visas. The visa should be your first step.

Share This Page