1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Sweden

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by paolobear, Oct 26, 2017.

1. paolobear

paolobear New commenter

Apologies if this is not in the right forum but I was unsure where else to post it.

I'm working for a region of Sweden that urgently wants to recruit UK teachers to teach ages 8-16.

Are there any Facebook groups I could approach?

What is the best way to find teachers who might be interested?

Thanks.

2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Established commenter

Post the ad on Tes would be my best guess. Is this an ESL position? I'm just wondering because if it were for actual international schools, surely they would already know the recruitment channels

3. paolobear

paolobear New commenter

No, it's for a mainstream Swedish school authority. The region is growing very quickly due to an influx of new businesses and they're building three new schools.

4. 576

576 Occasional commenter

I've sent you a conversation.
    I'd like to know more.

5. paolobear

paolobear New commenter

I've tried to respond but am unable to. Apparently my message was inappropriate!

6. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

Could you please add my name to the conversation paolobear, I would also like to know more.

7. 576

576 Occasional commenter

Ok so can you let me know here. ?

8. paolobear

paolobear New commenter

Sure. We're looking for UK teachers to live and work in Sweden. Our part of Sweden has a very high quality of life, good salaries and a growing population (and we're staying in the EU ;-).

We just don't have enough teachers.

I only came here to find out where to target UK teachers on FB or social media (something I still don't know!) but am happy to pass on more information. If you private message me just leave your email and I'll reply to you.

9. paolobear

paolobear New commenter

Would love to but don't know how - sorry. Message me directly.

10. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

I'd say advertise in TES and the main national news papers.

11. teachy_monkey_dance

teachy_monkey_dance New commenter

I have messaged you, Paolobear.

12. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

Is this for a Free School or a Local Authority?

How are these teachers going to have registered teacher status? I thought A-level Swedish was a basic requirement?

13. paolobear

paolobear New commenter

Local authority. That requirement doesn't apply in this case.

14. averageteacherhere

averageteacherhere New commenter

how much gross? And how much after tax? ANd how much for accommodation or is it free?o_O Is this why they are LOOKING for UK teachers I wonder?o_O

15. paolobear

paolobear New commenter

The average teaching salary in our area is around £36K. Total tax is around 33%. Cost-of-living is roughly analogous but property is much, much, much cheaper (a three bed house with a little land, 20 minutes from the city, would cost around £50-90k - renovation projects can be picked up for £10-20k).
    Quality of life is very high and crime negligible. They're looking for UK teachers for a variety of reasons, the main one being that most Swedes above eight and below 60 speak great English.

16. MyOrchid

MyOrchid New commenter

Hi, I opened a conversation/message with you. Please provide more information. Thanks,

Orchid

17. alisum

alisum New commenter

Hi,

I have sent you a PM/Conversation. Please send me more information. Thanks.

Ali

18. Bytor

Bytor New commenter

Likewise; I have too.

Ta

19. mariska_devos

mariska_devos New commenter

How can I obtain more details?

20. tinker000

tinker000 New commenter

What subject? Do the schools consider pgce graduate?