1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Sweden, want to come back to UK

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by lillarut, Jan 19, 2016.

1. lillarut

lillarut New commenter

Hi,

I have been teaching at a 6th form college in Sweden now for 12 years, I am head of faculty but ready to move up the ladder and want to come home.

I was head of department in England before I left, have a PGCE + QTS, worked in the UK for 5 years.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, do I need a MEd to apply for SLT or any other qualifications that would help my applications?

Thank you.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there, and welcome both to this forum and potentially back to the UK!

No particular qualification, but very common is an expectation - often explicit - that you will have recent relevant experience. Which brings me to my question:

Are you in a British School abroad, teaching the UK curriculum? Or doing IB? Because without the recent relevant experience of at the very least the curriculum, you would find it hard to come back into SLT level, I'm afraid.

Here is an advice article with some general points about returning to the UK:

Returning to the UK after teaching abroad

Best wishes

3. lillarut

lillarut New commenter

Brilliant thank you Theo :) I'm at a Swedish state 6th form college, teaching IB and French in the Swedish system, so no experience of the UK curriculum for the last 13 years!! Ok, I know what to do now.......

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck!