1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Spain

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by neweyc1, Feb 25, 2019.

1. neweyc1

neweyc1 New commenter

I am thinking about applying for jobs in Spain.
    My partner has been in England for 18 months (in Spain before) and we are thinking about moving to Spain soon.
    Can anyone tell me what it's like to work in international schools there?
    Positive and negative experiences please!!

Many thanks

2. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Did you do a search of this forum, you will get lots of both?

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Surely they will find only positive reviews :)

4. neweyc1

neweyc1 New commenter

That's what I'm hoping!

5. dumbbells66

Good luck with that one o_O

6. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Be very, very careful there are some extremely dodgy schools in Spain owned by some pretty dubious characters. Bare in mind that if you wish to return to the UK you will need a reference and these crooked owners use this as a means of blackmail. I would stick to the big established schools in Madrid or Barcelona. Avoid the Canaries at all costs.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  7. GemmaKeen

GemmaKeen New commenter

I work in the Canaries and am having an exceptionally positive experience. Nothing to compare it to other than British schools as this is my first international experience. Glad I didn’t read any threads on working in Spain before moving here. Nothing but a great experience. School is great, busy but great, people so friendly, it is carnival season now so there is a party to go to pretty much every night of the week if that’s what your looking for. The scenery is breathtaking, the sea is warm, the food is good and I honestly feel very lucky to live and work in this part of the world. My family are here to and have settled very quickly and are above all, happy. Something I am not sure we could say about the last couple of years in the UK unfortunately and the thought of returning there fills me with dread. Do your research about the school, local area, rent prices etc. Good luck

worlo24, tb9605 and WelshMags like this.
  8. dumbbells66

wait until you move to a better country and see how well they treat you. it will be night and day.

i nearly quit teaching because of my truly awful experience in Spain (mainland)

9. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

We're very happy here in Spain (I've lived in four other countries on three continents, but feel most comfortable here). We are both working and have two children, aged 9 and 6. Just about to buy a house here. We'll never get rich working in Spain (but if money was my motivation, I would have done something other than teaching), but the work/life balance is so much better than in the UK... plus we get to live in a beautiful area. It helps that we both speak Spanish well.

As others have suggested, do a search in the forum for threads about Spain. There are some dodgy schools here. Be wary of 10 month contracts and obligatory summer schools.

Buena suerte.

worlo24 and WelshMags like this.
  10. neweyc1

neweyc1 New commenter

Thank you! It's great to hear the positives

11. neweyc1

neweyc1 New commenter

Also how do you know the dodgy schools?

12. briancant

I would say visit them and go with your head not your heart.

13. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

1. They try to avoid giving you free places for your kids, which they are required to do by law.
    2. They offer you a 10-month contract and expect you to sign on the dole over the summer.
    3. They tell you you have to work a month’s summer school for no extra pay.
    4. They tell you that all teachers are required to do unpaid after-school activities/clubs x-times a week.
    5. They offer to pay part of your salary in cash...
    All of the above are definite warning signs!

14. miketribe

Having said that, we’ve been here for going on 40 years and, despite the occasional difficult patches, we’ve been very happy indeed...

15. briancant

I'm glad to hear someone is having a better experience in the Canaries than me, but I would disagree about the sea being warm! I thought it was frigid!

16. briancant

'i nearly quit teaching because of my truly awful experience in Spain '
    I did!

17. dumbbells66

when i look back on it now i think i came out of the horrendous experience pretty well. just suicidal thoughts and considering quitting teaching. in comparison to others that have taught in Spain, it didnt effect me that badly i guess. a good friend of mine had stress induced alopecia from his terrible experience. he quit teaching, but has since returned. now he his working in a decent country and being treated like a professional his hair has returned. i am still to personally meet anyone that has had a positive experience, especially when they move on to better countries and compare it back to Spain.
    my sister had her tax deductions stolen by the owner in her school in Barcelona. obviously, being Spain she was blamed and had to leave the country in a hurry with her 3 kids before she got arrested.

but for some (very very very very few from my experience), love it there.

18. blue_badger

blue_badger New commenter

We are currently working in Spain and have decided to return to the UK after 2 years. The pay is really poor and we can't afford to live. Saying that, we live in an expensive part in the Balearics. If we got paid more, we would probably stay.

macao likes this.
  19. brownie1

brownie1 New commenter

Hi Mike
    I wondered if I could pm you with some Madrid questions but unsure how.

20. miketribe

I sent you one. All you have to do is reply....