1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Spain

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by adwcaerdydd, Jan 14, 2018.

1. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

This is true - there is a shortage of long term lets in some parts now as more and more owners see short term tourist lets as more lucrative. Ordinary (Spanish) people are being squeezed out of popular areas and there have been incidents of 'turismofobia' in reaction to the adverse effects than increased tourism is having.

Another thing which makes things perhaps less attractive in Spain now is the pensions crisis. It used to be the case that if you worked here for long enough you'd be rewarded with a pretty generous pension at the end of it which would compensate to some degree for not having been able to save as much as if you'd worked somewhere better paying.
    But the pensions pot is empty and the government is currently looking to 'recalculate' pensions so this can not be relied on any more.

Think very carefully about whether you can really afford it before you accept a job in Spain.

2. M001

M001 New commenter

Please can I PM you about your comment? Are you currently teaching in Spain?

3. Madamemorgan

Madamemorgan New commenter

I've pmd you

4. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

We've been happy here for over 30 years! No school is perfect and no country is perfect, and I know we've been lucky in our choice of schools, but there ARE good schools here, along with the bad ones... Follow the forum, send pm's to people who know first hand, contact existing staff and you could find a good school. You won't get rich like you would in China or the UAE, but, on the other hand, you wouldn't be in China or the UAE. Also, although salaries are certainly much lower here, this is sometime exaggerated on the forum. The minimum for a classroom assistant at my school, for example, is 18,000 euros gross...

jonwilko likes this.
  5. M001

M001 New commenter

Why would
    a school ask you register fiscal residence in the UK?

6. M001

M001 New commenter

Please can pm me as I have some questions about a specific school I have an interview for?

7. M001

M001 New commenter

How do I pm you? Apologies new to this forum.

8. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

Click on my name then on start a conversation...

9. iole2007

iole2007 New commenter

Hi, could u message me please ? I would like to ask some feedback of certain schools, maybe u know them

10. alanglasgow

alanglasgow New commenter

What would a decent Spain salary be for an experienced IB English teacher in one of the better paying schools? I'm hoping to get a job offer and not quite sure what to realistically expect.

11. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

A colleague of mine was offered €28,000 for a post in an IB school in Madrid, which struck me as pretty decent for Spain (she was NQT+1; I'm Head of Department and am on just a little less than that). In the end she went off to Brazil instead though...

12. yaredabestan

yaredabestan New commenter

Hi, I've just registered so won't be able to PM you yet. I would be interested in hearing your views on King's, and any other pointers you could give me.
    Thank you!

13. docHolliday

docHolliday New commenter

After 25 years of teaching in the UK I came to Spain four years ago having sorted out my 'reconocimiento' before coming out to Madrid. It took me about 8 months to get a letter from the Spanish ministry of education, stating that my first degree, PGCE and QTS qualified me (in line with EU law) to be a teacher of English in the Secondary sector. The process involved using Spanish translators and notaries to provide the necessary documents in the format required as well as a few visits to the Consejeria de Educacion in London.

All this was worth it as I got a first job in a private secondary school and am now in a 'concertado' school which is part private and part state supported and where the pay is better given that the regional government top-up the salary.

My work is full-on secondary teaching (full timetable, duties, reports, etc) which is what I wanted and what I did back in the UK. My school follows the Spanish curriculum but is officially bilingual. The system is different as is the culture but the change has been stimulating and I am happy in my new Spanish life. The pay is considerably less than back in Britain but overall I feel better off.

If anyone wants to pick my brains on looking for work in the Spanish (non international) secondary system then I will happily share what I know.

Best wishes.

JMH

14. crusoeonmars

crusoeonmars New commenter

My wife has been offered a job as a language assistant in a school in the Madrid area. For this, we have to fork out an initial outlay of 1050 euros. She will be paid 1000 euros per months for 8 months. I would look to take a CELTA or TESOL course to supplement our income by teaching English as a foreign language. How easy is it to manage in Spain on a basic income? Still debating what to do?

15. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

On that salary, unfortunately, it would be almost impossible to survive. Madrid is pricier than most of spain, so rent will use most of your wife's salary. Certainly, there will be nothing left after rent, transport and bills. So you will need to be earning around 1200 at least straight away, which is unlikely. Unless you're a very good teacher and get a lot of private classes straight away, you will really struggle.
    Is your wife a teacher? If so, she should definitely not even consider such a role, and be waiting for a real teaching job to come up instead.

16. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

Also don't forget that a CELTA costs around 1000 euros, so you will have a lot of initial outlay between you.

17. crusoeonmars

crusoeonmars New commenter

We have both changed careers, so we're a bit older than many teachers looking to work abroad (58 & 51). She has a PGCE and has taught in secondary for 2 years. My PGCE is in FE and I have worked as supply teacher for last year, mainly in secondary. I haven't altogether enjoyed the experience of supply and really want to teach adults. Both English teachers.