1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Spain

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by adwcaerdydd, Jan 14, 2018.

1. adwcaerdydd

adwcaerdydd New commenter

I am thinking about applying for jobs in Spain.

Can anyone tell me what it's like to work in international schools there?

E.g. King's College (they have a few, including in Madrid and Alicante).

Many thanks

2. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

Lots of info on the overseas forum here https://community.tes.com/forums/teaching-overseas.64/

No simple answer, some are better than others and it depends what you're looking for.

Have never worked in a Kings school but if you go for it, ask questions re tax status, rumours are they ask their teachers to claim fiscal residence in the UK rather than Spain.

blue451 likes this.
  3. adwcaerdydd

adwcaerdydd New commenter

Thank you, much appreciated.

4. Fer888

Fer888 Occasional commenter

Teaching in Spain is a regular topic in the overseas forum as lunarita has said. I haven't worked at a kings school either but wages are generally lower in Spain and accommodation not provided. On the other hand it is very close to the UK!

My advice would be to not limit yourself just to one country but to think about other areas as well. Western European schools have their positives and negatives but the further east you go the higher the other allowances you could possibly receive in addition to your base salary.

Personally I would not teach in the middle east again but am really enjoying living here in China.

Whichever school you do decide to apply research it carefully. There are other websites that you can use to read reviews of the different international schools. There is a small cost involved but worth it in my opinion. Just be aware that people are generally more inclined to leave a negative rather than a positive one.

blue451 and adwcaerdydd like this.
  5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

all i can say is, "do an extreme amount of research" on the school. Spain has a notorious reputation on the international circuit, and no its not a positive one.

as @Fer888 pointed out, widen your horizons and you will be amazed at what is on offer. countries that are just as close to the UK (if thats your thing), have amazing cultures, beaches, cities, lifestyles etc.... exactly like Spain. when i left spain, and trust me it wasnt quick enough, i moved to eastern Europe, and my pay doubled, and my workload halved, and thats before i added in the benefits package.

best of luck

spanboy and adwcaerdydd like this.
  6. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

I wouldn't recommend King's but would certainly recommend teaching in Spain if your aim is not to become inordinately rich as quickly as possible. There ARE some good schools in Spain, but, as you have been warned, there are also some terrible ones and you do have to be very careful indeed when choosing.

blue451 and adwcaerdydd like this.
  7. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

Please feel free to message me if you want to chat...

adwcaerdydd likes this.
  8. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

Agree with Mike, came for two years... stayed for 12 (and counting).

9. dumbbells66

I arrived in Spain full of hope and excitement. I left 10 months later a shattered hollow shell of a man, bitter, exhasted and seriously considering quitting teaching because of my experience. My sister had the same feeling two years later after leaving a different part of Spain.

I have not looked back since i left as my life has extremely improved since i moved to another country......almost as much as it improved since i left the UK

blue451 likes this.
  10. colacao17

colacao17 New commenter

I do think dumbells is sometimes too negative about Spain HOWEVER I also think that conditions in general have worsened in recent years. It seems to me that there are more schools offering the lowest salary they're legally allowed to and some offering even less. (Hence the story on another thread about the previously well-paying school sacking its long serving teachers to replace them with cheaper ones.) At the same time, rents have risen sharply in many places making what might have been a liveable salary a few years ago feel utterly inadequate now.
    Before accepting any offer, check takehome pay against local rental prices to see whether it's viable or not.

Good luck. I love Spain but settling long term looks increasingly unlikely.

PS; this is my 16th message and they're still being held for moderation.....how many messages are needed before that stops?

blue451 likes this.
  11. dippit

dippit New commenter

King's College have quite a few schools in Spain and all of them seem to be advertising for staff at the moment - at least in English (my area). If you're planning to come from the UK, then I'd seriously ask why. Although I don't work for them, I do work for a similar group and all the reasons for leaving the UK are more than evident here, but for a fraction of the pay!
    Yes, the weather is better (if reaching nearly 20 degrees at night is your idea of better!) and the lifestyle is more relaxed than the UK, but I'm not sure it wholly compensates for the drop in wages. Bear in mind that renting an apartment will be around 500 euros per month, without bills. This is something to bear in mind as they haven't indicated how much they'll pay - and if they're paying according to the convenio, then it'll be around 19,500 pa gross.
    Lunarita is right to suggest looking at other posts on the forum - not all is bad. We've been here since 2004 and had our ups and downs regarding employment, not to mention slowly moving further south (hoping to end up in Galicia one day!), but you do need to think seriously about 'why Spain' when there are other places out there.
    Good luck.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  12. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Be careful when relocating to anywhere in the more 'tourist' parts of Europe. You may have grand ideas about your lifestyle there but find that your wage only allows you to survive on the most basic level.

Go elsewhere and travel to Spain on holiday

13. briancant

briancant New commenter

I've worked in 5 schools in Spain and each was worse than the one before. I did make the mistake of working in small schools located in or near resorts. I think it would be true to say there are some good schools in the big cities like Madrid and Barcelona however the ones in holiday areas can be awful. I left the Canaries last year to return to England and thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Green fields, real ale, no dust and I could drive down the road without a taxi driver 2 inches from my back bumper texting his mates. I thought the worst schools and the worst bit of Spain was the Canaries, the best was probably the Balearics both in terms of living and schools. Do be careful if you intend to return and teach in the UK again, you really need to find the best international school that has systems resembling those in the UK.

14. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

I'm in Spain and am very happy. Come to Spain IF living in Spain is why you want to move - otherwise it seems less demanding/more financially rewarding posts can be found elsewhere. Do read the threads on here and, if you want to apply to a particular school, I'd advise messaging those members of TES who live here to check if it's a school with a decent reputation or not. For example, there are several refugees from a white coastal school at the place where I teach, so avoid that one.

T0nyGT likes this.
  15. asiantiger

asiantiger New commenter

I have a Spanish friend who teaches at one of the Conservatory Superiors of music in Spain. SHe told me a while back that the maximum pay for a professor of music is 2000 euros per month and some colleges paid 1500 euros. I know this isn't international profiteering schools but it gives you an idea of how businessmen see the worth of a teacher in Spain. Like MT says, work elsewhere and go there in the summer on holiday when it's warm. Spain is cold in the winter too!

16. asiantiger

asiantiger New commenter

Because the TES likes to THINK that they are a "professional" publication and all the hoodlums and down and outs who supposedly frequent these pages should not be given so much as an inkling of free speech on these forums. In reality of course, TES make HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of POUNDS EVEry WEEK from international schools around the world who pay $$$$ to advertise for teachers. They basically want to keep everything nice and polite for their clients so that they come back again and readvertise next year/time. So they moderate all the threads. In any case there are only a handful of regulars on here which is surprising given the number of worldwide teachers.

17. dumbbells66

Its the "one that must not be named", back with another user name:)

18. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

How does he get past the moderation?

dumbbells66 likes this.
  19. asiantiger

asiantiger New commenter

How does who get past the moderation? Your BF? Why don't you talk about the THREAD's TOPIC Lottee? WHy always .........? This thread will get pulled like the one last week for "Bullying" other posters you know if you aren't careful!:(

20. asiantiger

asiantiger New commenter

Are you ever going to stop? How about talking about the thread? Or the posts?:(

dumbbells66 likes this.