1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Singapore

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by carew_katie, Oct 24, 2019.

1. carew_katie

carew_katie New commenter

I am thinking about applying for teaching jobs in Singapore and wanted to speak with someone who is or has taught in an international school in Singapore. All help appreciated.

2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

You'd better move fast if you're talking about next September. One top school has already begun interviewing and another one has closing dates coming soon.

3. south42

south42 New commenter

Does anyone know the typical working hours for a secondary teacher in Singapore? How many lessons plus co-curricular activities per week on average?

4. aineemc

aineemc New commenter

Hi T0nyGT can you tell me the names of the 'top' schools please? I've only noticed one or two Singapore schools advertising on here over the last few weeks..
    Thanks

5. APMay

APMay New commenter

Hi, I am a Deputy Headteacher also looking for a new challenge with my family in either Malaysia or Singapore. I have applied for a few positions recently and waiting for responses. I am only looking on TES, should I be checking any other sites? What are people's views on whether to choose Malaysia or Singapore??
    Many thanks

6. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]. Far better than TES

dumbbells66 likes this.
  7. ToK-tastic

ToK-tastic New commenter

Either is probably far preferable to the UK if you want a few pennies left at the end of each month, nice weather, civil(ish) people, hard working students etc etc. Malaysia is better if you want a large house, maybe with a pool, lots of space etc - sort of think suburban living. SIngapore is better for the city life, but is also strangely suburban (in comparison to HK, BKK, HCMC etc). Singapore - high wages, high rents, excellent transport system, expensive to have a car etc
    I lived in Malaysia, and would prefer not to go back. I would consider Singapore, but not in preference to BKK or HKG. Different horses different courses...,

8. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

I've lived in both, happy to chat via PM.

9. APMay

APMay New commenter

10. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hello,

Please can everyone remember the following:

Term and condition
    :

You agree to not use the Services to:
    · upload, post, email, PM (personal message) or otherwise transmit any User-Uploaded Content that:

post content which refers to individual schools, colleges or agencies - or their staff - whether by name, or identifiable by a pseudonym or any other means.

Community guideline:

Anonymity: Users will not identify (nor describe in a way which could feasibly lead to identification) schools, students or fellow members of the community.

11. APMay

APMay New commenter

Hi migratingbird how am I able to PM?

12. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

I'll start a conversation with you. Hover over your avatar in the top right of the page and you'll see it.

13. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

Hi, I have been in Malaysia for 3yrs now and am always happy to answer any questions. Let me know and I will pm you.

14. APMay

APMay New commenter

Hi Rosieg, yes that would be great. Still quite new to this so could you send me a message??
    Thanks

rosiecg likes this.
  15. APMay

APMay New commenter

That's really interesting, why do you think that you would not go back to Malaysia?