1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Singapore?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Tom_Brown93, May 4, 2017.

1. Tom_Brown93

Tom_Brown93 New commenter

Hi,

I've been thinking about teaching abroad at an International School and Singapore looks like an amazing place to work. I've been looking online at jobs and the majority of them currently have start dates in August, which is too early for myself and my partner. We've been hoping that perhaps jobs will become available later in the year, preferably a December / January start.

Does anyone have any experience with International Schools in Singapore and how they usually handle their intake? I imagine there are different times in the year where schools take on teachers (similarly to the UK) but I haven't seen anything that proves that yet.

Appreciate any help!

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

sorry to burst your bubble but recruitment for international school is VERY different to the UK. the season generally runs from around the end of September to the end of February (jobs are always available this is when the main recruitment drive is) . Singapore being one of the most sort after places in the world to teach, competition for jobs will be intense. remember the whole world will be applying to these jobs, so it can be 100's of applicants for each position.

if you want a December / January start then you want a southern hemisphere school, although this is not inclusive, as i am in the southern hemisphere and we have a August start. August is generally the start time for most schools.

good luck

3. Tom_Brown93

Tom_Brown93 New commenter

Thanks for shedding some light on this.

So are you suggesting that the jobs that are currently available online will be the last ones until the next recruitment drive, which won't be until around September and then through to next February?

4. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

When I was looking for a post last year (between June and September ) there were around 40-80 jobs on here at a time with January starts.

In January this year there were 500+ jobs for August starts.

Hope that gives you an idea of the challenge a January start can be! I was successful though, and was actually offered 2 jobs for this January - one in Russia and one in Malaysia (which I took).

5. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

There aren't likely to be many (or any) new jobs posted at this point and if there are they will be for this August. New jobs for August 2018 will be posted from September/October onwards, peaking in January/February, and then tailing off in March/April. I must admit I don't remember seeing any job ads for January starts at schools in Asia when I was job hunting back in October/November. I'm sure they come up (as rosiecg got one) but I'm not sure how common they are. I obviously I am happy to be corrected on this point!

Singapore is notoriously difficult to break into, and while people do get jobs there straight out of the UK, it is very difficult. Don't pin all your hopes on one location. There are lots of fantastic places in Asia to live and work. Expand your horizons and you'll find some wonderful opportunities await.

6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

i have been applying to singapore for nearly 10 years, and i teach a shortage subject and i have a LOT of international experience...... have not even gotten an interview yet.

best of luck

7. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

The Australian School hires for a January start, that's about it. Other January starts are few and far between, with the exception being when a school (usually new) is experiencing massive growth. As far as I'm aware, there are no new international schools opening in Singapore this year, so there will be hardly any January starts besides the Australian school. Singapore is a lovely place to work, and (once you have secured a job) an easy country to settle in to (I call it Asia-lite). That's probably one of the main reason that jobs here are so in demand.

8. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

Doesn't the saintly international have a January start?

9. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

Father of Jesus? I don't think so but I could be wrong. They definitely have their long break in June/July, so I assumed they started August. Plus I interviewed with them a few years ago for an August start...maybe things have changed?

10. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

Just checked and it's a January start now anyway.

11. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

'Father of Jesus?'

Just for a second I thought that was an expletive - even if it wasn't I quite like it!

Stillstayingjohnson likes this.