1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Singapore

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by tim_evans7, Mar 7, 2016.

1. tim_evans7

tim_evans7 New commenter

Hi,
    I was after some help. I have and interview at an international (American) school in Singapore. I just have a few questions:
    What would the acceptable salary be for a teacher with 10 years experience at Secondary level be? (They have asked me for my expected salary)
    Is Singapore an expensive place to live?
    I have done some "googling" and a lot of the info I found is 10 years old and I know things have changed and things have got more expensive and exchange rates have effected things. But have salaries changed too?
    Those of you have worked and lived in Singapore, what do you think of the place?

2. pixiewixiepixie

pixiewixiepixie Occasional commenter

The place of my birth, sort of, but have friends and family out there working in education.

Very expensive accommodation costs and not all schools are keeping up with the annual rising costs! That should be your focus. You should try to nail down an apartment being provided all paid for including a deposit, single occupancy, bills paid. Then comes medical, which should be included but confirm this. Salary for an experienced teacher? Same as the UK plus 10% - 20% plus the benefits mentioned before, plus annual flight and end of contract gratuity. So somewhere between £40K - £45K is about right.

Good luck. Singapore isn't everyone's cup of tea but it is a great place if you have a well-paid job. Be prepared to work like a donkey, though!

3. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

Hi - I currently live and work in Singapore. Start a "conversation" with me and I'm happy to give you the inside track. I think the salary estimate given above would be the bottom end of the spectrum, especially with 10 years experience. Yes, Singapore is very expensive. If you are single, the expenses are going to be very different to if you have a family. Send me a message :)