1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Singapore

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by LauraReed25, Jan 4, 2016.

1. LauraReed25

LauraReed25 New commenter

Hello!
    So I'm thinking of applying to teach English in Singapore next year.. will start my CELTA in a couple of months and have done some research online but would like to speak to people with real experience of teaching in the far east, Singapore in particular.
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks

2. sirspamalotless

sirspamalotless Occasional commenter

Been there a few times for extended stays with family and love it. Great food, safe, classy, brilliant entertainment and easy for weekend hops all over Asia. Accommodation is the key thing to nail down - very very expensive, can be poor quality and getting worse every year. There are some top international schools with top packages there but some poor ones too so do your homework! The weather can be draining - hot, humid and wet all year round but most people cope after a while. I assume you have been for a holiday? If not, go. I hope to work there soon and have applied for some ICT posts for 2016. Not heard anything yet but fingers crossed.

3. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

Singapore is an easy place to live - a bit Asia-lite, so if it's your first foray into SE Asia it's an easy place to adapt to. However it is very, very expensive and the package you get is vital. Have you looked in to the kind of package you would be expecting? I'm happy to have a "conversation" with you - will send you a message, then feel free to ask away. Good luck with the CELTA :)

4. reed_laura

reed_laura New commenter

Thank you both for your replies :)
    Never been there before and just figured it would be a good a place to start as any! However the price of accommodation is something making me think twice. I'm hoping it will be possible to get accommodation within the teaching package if I manage to get into one of the good schools but I do realise that is a very big 'if'. Do either of you know if it's possible to flat or house share with other teachers there?

5. seansmith7

seansmith7 New commenter

I assume you're getting your CELTA to help you get into an international school to teach ESL. However, if you're a subject teacher you don't need a CELTA, though it won't hurt. A typical package will pay the equivalent of £3500-£4500 per month (which would include housing). With that you can enjoy a decent lifestyle but you won't get rich. Singapore is expensive, certainly more so than the UK. It's nice here and the livin' is easy but it's a bit claustrophobic and sterile. Singapore lacks the excitement, unpredictability, and chaos that other Asian cities have. If you're single, I would try elsewhere. If you're coming with a partner or family, it's worth a contract or two.

6. reed_laura

reed_laura New commenter

All very good advice.. now thinking about Cambodia instead..

7. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

Paid or voluntary? Voluntary work in Cambodia can be extremely rewarding.

8. reed_laura

reed_laura New commenter

9. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

Not there - but I did do my training through a branch of International House and it was excellent. Very full on and thorough. It was quite a few years ago but a great experience and I'd recommend it.

10. Anon (2018)

Anon (2018) New commenter

If travelling alone I definitely wouldn't recommend Singapore for all of the reasons given by previous posters regarding the sterility, cost and lack of buzz. Cambodia is a fantastic country, very open and welcoming. I think you'd find it much more social and more engaging solo! What sort of experience are you looking for?