1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Singapore - Unions?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by bear7, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Hello,

I have read lots of posts but not found anything on unions in Singapore. Apologises if information regarding unions has been posted, if so can you direct me to the information. I have a position at a British school in Singapore starting August 2011. Do I need to sign up to a union? How many unions are there? Do those working at international school sign up to unions? can anyone give me idea of fees?

Grateful for any information.

Many thanks

2. Hello,

I have read lots of posts but not found anything on unions in Singapore. Apologises if information regarding unions has been posted, if so can you direct me to the information. I have a position at a British school in Singapore starting August 2011. Do I need to sign up to a union? How many unions are there? Do those working at international school sign up to unions? can anyone give me idea of fees?

Grateful for any information.

Many thanks

3. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

I would love to be proven wrong, but I do not believe this "union" that you speak of, translates very well outside of the UK, USA etc.

4. Hi

Sorry I meant Trade Union.

Teaching unions are organisations that protect and advice teachers on their rights in employment, for example lobby for pay increase and answer questions about contracts as well as provide legal support if necessary. All of course for a fee. I hope that is clearer.

5. It was clear in the first post. They don't exist in international schools (as far as I know).
    You're on your own.

6. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

You're not talking to ejits here (well, not many) so we all know what a union is (well, most of us have heard of them and some believe in them the same as fairies in gardens).
    Unfortunately for you, you don't seem like the type that will do well overseas if this is your main concern.[​IMG]
    Priority list for expat teachers:
    1. Is it a place I'm going to die in? If fairly unlikely (50:50 or better) go to 2.[​IMG]
    2, Can I afford the beer? If yes, go to 3.[​IMG]
    3. Is there running water? If yes and hot go to 5, if yes but not hot go to 4. [​IMG]
    4. Is it a hot country where leaving a tank of water on the rough keeps it simmering at a pleasnt 45 degrees or more? If yes, go to 5.[​IMG]
    5. err, sounds alright, I'll give it a go[​IMG]... Any suggestions for alternate lists (from experience expats only, don't need to hear lists including Andrex provision or similar)?

7. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

????
    Funny how my mind works since that problem with the cerebral malaria
    'on the roof'

8. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Errm. Yes. I was aiming for humor. Apparently it was a small target and I missed.

9. Panjang

Panjang New commenter

No teachers unions in Singapore - at least none for international school teachers. You can join NTUC for about $7 per month - this gives you points when you shop in their supermarkets which can be traded in for discounts, cheap insurance etc. :)

As far as protecting your rights, lobbying for pay increases etc, forget it - no such union exists. If your job is at Tanglin then you won't have to worry about that anyway.

10. There is a so-called teachers union in that country, but since the whole trade union thing is pointless there (the head of most unions always turns out to be the minister responsible or a realtive of the Lee family). The union for teachers was not recognised by the state college I worked in, or by several international/private schools that I knew teachers from.
    In general there are no workers rights in that country, the contracts are of no value. And the thread regarding contracts on here was pulled because TES likes it that way....