1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching In Singapore...Good or bad move!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Bugaloo, Jul 25, 2016.

1. teachercatesy

teachercatesy New commenter

Hi,
    I’m new to the forum and would love some advice from someone living in Singapore. I’ve seen you have given great advice in a few posts.
    Would you be able to start a conversation with me? I’m not sure how to send a message.

Thanks

2. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

I was looking at applying for the one that begins with the white cliffs of....

However, after looking at their gratuity, housing allowance etc, it would seem they're a long way off the others. The dream is the American one up North of the country.

3. teachercatesy

Hi,
    How did you find out specifics of their package? Is it published? I’ve noticed some are and some aren’t.
    Thanks

4. hassanane

hassanane New commenter

I have applied to that school you've mention - please let me know what you found out about that particular school?? I didn't see anything along those lines

5. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

Done :)

6. miss.parsons

miss.parsons New commenter

I've just come across this post after doing some research in working abroad. I've been to Singapore before and will be there in the summer. I'd love to be able to speak to someone who already has a job there for any advice and information that can be given. I'm in my 9th year of teaching textiles and food. Thanks

7. migratingbird

Hi, I've been here 5 years. Will start a conversation with you in case you're not able to start one yet.

8. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

The frustrating thing about these forums is no one every reports back . . . how did the OP do with his career choice. Did he move to Singapore?

My advice: if you get offered a job in SE Asia, take it.

9. EEIB86

EEIB86 New commenter

Hi migratingbird,

I saw your message on here a few days ago stating that you were still in Singapore and was wondering if I could ask you a couple of questions.
    Thanks

10. migratingbird

Yep :)

11. EEIB86

EEIB86 New commenter

My partner and I (and our 2 children) are looking to move. This would probably be next year now as the new academic year is already fast approaching this year.

Anyway, we have both agreed after doing some research that we think Singapore would be a good option mainly because from our research we have seen that it seems to be pretty safe, there is a large expat community, we'd be able to do lots more outdoor activities with the children because of the weather and the education is reported to be of a good standard.

I am a primary teacher with 4 years experience (2 in middle leadership) and really just want some advice as to what kind of packages you could expect as I know cost of living is high, what reputable agencies I can look at to help with the process, what schools or school organisations are good to work for and really just any other helpful information.
    Another point to note is that our eldest child will be in secondary school so ideally we'd want him to be able to stay at the same school which means if I only got a 2 year contract I'd like to know how easy it is to renew or get another job at another school there so we aren't causing too much disruption to his secondary education.

Sorry about the essay - just want to make sure we research properly before moving our whole life.

Thanks for any help/advice

12. migratingbird

I'll send you a PM. Look out for a 'Conversation' alert when you hover over your avatar in the top right corner of the page.

13. Mrs_CS

Mrs_CS New commenter

Hi Migratingbird, could you please send me a conversation starter too?

14. migratingbird

Done :)

15. 663929

663929 New commenter

Hi everyone, i'm a primary school teacher and am interested in working at international schools in Singapore.
    Does anyone know if there are big differences in terms of salary/benefits between the international schools? i.e. the Australian International School, Middleton, Etonhouse?
    Thank you! :)

Also, migratingbird would I also be able to start a conversation with you please? (although you may need to start this as i'm unsure how to do so!)

16. migratingbird

Done. And yes, there's a big difference between the first school you mentioned compared to the other two (and just a heads up, don't mention schools by name on the forum orthe whole thread will be deleted).

17. timfox1113

timfox1113 New commenter

New to this forum and just completed a video interview with the school up on the northern part of the island. Anyone willing to give me info via PM? Thanks in advance.

18. teachercatesy

Morning all,
    I was wondering if anyone living in Singapore now can give advice on housing?
    We have looked online at property guru and 99 but wanting personal opinions.

Are the amenities really worth it? Coming from a house with a pool and back yard, would we miss not having access to these things (with a 5 year old and 3 year old)?
    Do people walk or ride bikes to work?
    Do many people bring their pets with them?

Any other nitty gritty advice?

19. teachercatesy

What sort of different between schools?

sort

20. timfox1113

timfox1113 New commenter

I would love to know more about the package provided by “the one up north.” Just did a video interview. Thanks.