1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching In Singapore...Good or bad move!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Bugaloo, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Bugaloo

Bugaloo New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I have been offered an incredible package to move to Singapore and teach in a very good international school. However I am extremely apprehensive and anxious. I have to decide by Thursday.
    I have had an extremely challenging year both personally and professionally and I decided to take a career break and my plan was to go over to my friends in Australia.
    I didn't expect to get the job as I have never taught internationally and I just applied to get experience of skype interviews etc.
    My biggest worry is that I will hate it and that I wont make friends and feel very alone and isolated.
    After an extremely challenging class this year I also worry about the teaching aspect and expectations in this school and I have read that teachers work incredibly long hours in Singapore.
    I feel huge pressure now as I don't want to pass up this opportunity but I feel that I am not confident enough to go alone.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated or peoples experiences of moving over alone.

2. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

I live in SIngapore. I'll start a conversation with you so we can chat :)

3. Bugaloo

Bugaloo New commenter

Great! Thank you!

4. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Well done for getting the job in an international school in Singapore. Your employer obviously saw your value and potential. I've done loads of travelling and can guarantee you will not be lonely in Singapore! It's a great place and the school will go out of its way to make sure you settle - it's in their interest to have a happy, settled teacher. Okay, you had a rough year last year but this is exactly what you need to boost your confidence, do something different, meet different people and have a great time. That part of the world is not outer Mongolia - it's cosmopolitan, with unbelievable easy and cheap access to stunning places all over Asia - beaches, diving, mountains, travel, food, opposite sex, same sex, clubs, culture - whatever you are in to is there. And there will be loads of people in exactly the same boat as you.

Stop fretting, accept the job, don't over-plan, just pack the bag and go. You lucky sod.

(PS if you are teaching Computing / ICT and decide not to go, PM me with the details as I would step in and go off to Singapore like a shot!!)

skeptucator, LaxmiSoci and Helen-Back like this.
  5. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Congratulations. Singapore (in one of the better schools) is one of the more highly sought after int'l school locations. If in fact the package is incredible or even very good (please check with people who would know the reality in Singapore) then I would certainly advise going for it, especially as it seems you need a change of scenery. Singapore will have a thriving expat community and the language will not be an obstacle to taking advantage of everything the area and the people have to offer.

6. mrjack

mrjack New commenter

I'd be interested to know what a very good or incredible package for Singapore looks like as I recently turned down a not so good package!

7. Panjang

Panjang New commenter

I teach in Singapore. Happy chat too.

8. missbrody

missbrody New commenter

Wonder if those of you currently teaching in Singapore could give me some information?

I am interested in a job advertised at SJII with a closing date of 31st December and need to know if it is a good international school.
    There is no salary stated, so what would be a reasonable offer to be willing to accept?

I have 9 years teaching experience, including 4 years teaching IBDP (physics), so I should have a reasonable chance.
    Currently I am on a good package where I live, but it is also an expensive place to live, so the costs of living in Singapore wouldn't be a shock to my system!

Thanks in anticipation of your comments!

9. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

I'll start a conversation with you. Am familiar with the school and happy to chat.

10. missbrody

missbrody New commenter

Thank you!
    Would you say that it is a good school to work at?
    I am impressed with their IB physics results and would love to teach in a school with so many students taking HL. My current school still has most students taking A level, so the numbers taking IB physics at HL are still quite small.

Having an idea of what salary to expect with my level of experience would be very useful.

11. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Search has it down as a starting salary of $53 000 plus the usual benefits

12. balders23

balders23 New commenter

I loved Singapore when visiting from China. Still trying to get a job there!! :)

13. harpplayer

harpplayer New commenter

Singapore is a really nice place. I was there for a week and found loads to do. I imagine that as long as you have handy good accommodation and a great salary, the job will be fine and a good experience and you won't have anything approaching the pretty sh1tty behaviour found in many british schools, either from staff or students. And look where it is on the map as well! So much opportunity for travel and fun. Singapore is my first choice when the international jobs start appearing soon. Go for it!

14. mawalker1

mawalker1 New commenter

HI!! I'm new to this thread. I was wondering if you went to Singapore and what your experience has been like. I'm debating on moving there from China but some of my friends think I will hate it there. Because they have tough laws, tough consequences and apparently a tough social etiquette idk. I've never been. The friends suggesting I won't like it have lived in China and a couple other places. I've lived in Korea and now China. I love to talk with you!
    ="Bugaloo, post: 11768849, member: 1146818"]Hi everyone,
    I have been offered an incredible package to move to Singapore and teach in a very good international school. However I am extremely apprehensive and anxious. I have to decide by Thursday.
    I have had an extremely challenging year both personally and professionally and I decided to take a career break and my plan was to go over to my friends in Australia.
    I didn't expect to get the job as I have never taught internationally and I just applied to get experience of skype interviews etc.
    My biggest worry is that I will hate it and that I wont make friends and feel very alone and isolated.
    After an extremely challenging class this year I also worry about the teaching aspect and expectations in this school and I have read that teachers work incredibly long hours in Singapore.
    I feel huge pressure now as I don't want to pass up this opportunity but I feel that I am not confident enough to go alone.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated or peoples experiences of moving over alone.[/QUOTE]

15. mawalker1

mawalker1 New commenter

Hello! I'm debating about teaching in Singapore, would you be up for a chat?