1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Shanghai

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by cbahia1, Dec 1, 2019 at 10:22 PM.

1. cbahia1

cbahia1 New commenter

HI,

I had an interview recently for a primary teaching position in an international school in Shanghai. I was wondering if there is anybody in the TES community who works/has worked as an international teacher in Shanghai or knows a little more about what it's like to work and live in this city.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

Great city, loads to do. Weather sucks in the winter (cold and rainy) No central heating, so it's hard to keep your apartment warm. Puxi more interesting than Pudong.

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

If you are married with children you live in Pudong, if you young and single you live in Puxi. The newer housing is in Pudong which is more green and less crowded as its the new town of Shanghai. In Puxi the housing in over crowded, old, damp with inadequate sanitation and electrical supply, but Yongkang Lu does have some attraction.

Also consider in rush hour in Puxi it is quicker to walk to work as the traffic is so bad in the single one way street system. Find the metro station near your school and use that to find your place to live. Many schools now do provide apartments for the first year with an option of moving out in the second year.

As a single person person you will need at least 10K rmb per month for rent, married without children 12k rmb and with children 15K.

4. cbahia1

cbahia1 New commenter

Which months are the cold and rainy months? How close are Puxi and Padong from each other?

5. cbahia1

cbahia1 New commenter

I am not sure if we have to find our own accommodation or if they find it for us. It is a question I can ask if i pass the second round of interviewing. Thanks for your comment.