1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TEACHING IN SHANGHAI: VPN recommendation please, Banking, Apartment Areas

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Pasha, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Pasha

Pasha New commenter

Dear Sir/madam
    I will be moving to Shanghai in August for a new job. It is based on the Pudong side on the orange line, Yuntai Road.

1. Can anyone recommend me websites to look for an apartment, or a good clean area very close to a metro station that is within 25 mins door to door of Yuntai Road station? Even somewhere near Yuntai Road is fine. Also, Ill be looking at a 1 bedroom place so ideas of cost would be nice, plus tips on how not to screwed over would be cool too.

2. Can anyone currently in Shanghai please recommmend me a VPN for my laptop and mobile phone that I can install and use before I arrive that works 100% all the time. In fact, Im a little worried about this. Once there, if it dows not work can I simply install another VPN to work for me.

3. Can someone please advise how to get money out of the country too in large quantities? Someone mentioned they have limits for foreigners at the banks. Someone also recommended paypal. Ideas would be nice so I can prep before I arrive.

4. Finally, any tips before I arrive would be nice in terms of what I should pack in terms of food etc.

Finally, if your in Shanghai and want to share contact details that would be nice too.

Thank you

2. Fer888

Fer888 Occasional commenter

I have a pretty good idea which school it is.

1) If it is the school I think it is you have 2 weeks in a hotel when you get here to give you time to look for an apartment. You will be given the contact details of estate agents who can speak English for Puxi and Pudong and they will help you find a place. Existing teachers at the school may also know of other agencies to use as well. As to which area to choose it is completely up to you and what you want. Puxi is more in the centre for nightlife. Pudong is quieter and more suited to families.

2) I use express vpn and have never had any trouble with it. Other people use Astrill. Both can be used on mobiles and laptops. I would install it before you get here. Yes you can change it if it stops working but both regularly update to avoid this happening.

3) Banking - again if it is the school I think it is a bank account will be opened for you at Bank of China. There is a branch very close to the school. You will need to devote at least one and half hours to transferring money back to the UK but yes you can do large quantities. You just need to show the tax receipts to prove you have the money legally (you get these from the finance office), your passport, bank details of where you want the money to go to and possibly your FEC (Foreign Expert Certificate)/ card depending on what you get - things are changing so it may now be just the card you need to show. I have never had any trouble sending over large amounts - it is just the time it takes.

4) You can get pretty much any type of food you want here- if you have big feet (over size 10) you are better off getting shoes in the UK- there are threads discussing this subject so take a look!

5) I'll send you a message but if you are where I think you are you may well see me anyway depending on whether you are primary or secondary as my daughter goes the school !

3. OdetteBooysen

OdetteBooysen New commenter

Hi there,

I'm currently also teaching in China.

If you have any other questions or need help even with an agency that can make the relocating a breeze, let me know.

More than happy to assist.