1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in sets for first time

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Raeyen, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Raeyen

Raeyen New commenter

Hi,

I've just completed my NQT year and am starting at my new school this week, so will be NQT+1. At my last school languages were taught in mixed ability classes, but in my new one they are all set. I'm having a bit of a panic about how much planning this is going to entail, as I have about 4 different sets per year group for KS3! Any advice on how to plan for different sets? Do you tend to use different PowerPoints for each set, or use the same core one but with more/less scaffolding & tasks for each?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

I think you will answer all your own questiona very soon. It won't be as different as you think. And it will be interesting to hear back what you notice. You will be fine using basically the same lessons with some flexibility and scaffolding. I have never used PowerPoint, partly I suppose because it is then inflexibly set up in advance. But I think it will be small tweeks as you would to personalise it to a class regardless of ability mix. Enjoy your new school.

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  3. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Occasional commenter

I think you'll enjoy it. Over the years I have done both, but IMO it makes sense to set in MFL.

It helps you to take a bit more time over the weaker groups without boring the stronger kids and it allows you to move on really well with the strongest group - sometimes they absorb it like sponges and then you can really fly with them, and get them involved in some high-end challenges. It also helps you, I think, to assess like for like progress between the group members.

I once had a really committed Y9 group who were so keen to get an idea of their level that they persuaded me to give them a GCSE exam after the Easter holiday. We didn't do the speaking and writing, but every one of them passed the listening and reading, some with top marks. It gave them a massive confidence boost and those who took the language in KS4 went on to achieve exceptionally well at GCSE. I couldn't have done that in a mixed group.
    So go for it and enjoy both flying with the top sets and nurturing and supporting the lower sets. That's teaching, IMHO. :)

Dodros and Lara mfl 05 like this.