1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Scandinavia working hours

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by dorinaki, Jan 17, 2016.

1. dorinaki

dorinaki New commenter

Hello!
    I'm currently looking into teaching jobs in Sweden and Norway (my boyfriend works in Oslo, with the possibility of moving to Sweden). I currently have a supply teacher in Leeds and the working hours are driving me crazy. We're expecting as well, so I was wondering if anyone who has worked either in Sweden or Norway could give me an idea about working hours/ conditions/ salary etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. miss303

miss303 New commenter

I currently work in Sweden. It is completely different from the UK. There are school 'inspections' but only the senior leadership team are really involved and it plays no part in the day to day running of a school. You probably wouldn't know it was taking place. There is no crazy paper work or jargon and as the unions are very strong in Sweden working hours are highly monitored. Teachers spend 34.5 hours a week in school with 10 'trust hours', meant for working at home.

On the down side, pay is significantly lower than in the UK, especially when taking into account the high cost of living. There is also a housing crisis in some cities meaning it is incredibly hard to find somewhere to rent. Most schools do no offer traditional 'international' packages. Finally, the standard of teaching and the level of innovation is generally years behind the UK. Some schools are still very much chalk and talk so the professional development offered within schools varies dramatically.

3. dorinaki

dorinaki New commenter

Thank you for your reply! Would you happen to know if they only prefer native English speakers for primary school positions?

4. miss303

miss303 New commenter

I think it really depends on where you apply but as many parts of Scandinavia are experiences a 'large' influx of people from all over the world, many schools value additional language skills highly.