1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Qatar

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by zashmon, Jan 16, 2018.

1. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Salary around 15KQR per month, flights for whole family each year, medical insurance for whole family, free non-shared accommodation and free school places for children as a minimum.

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Dear jelleyisland, yes, I have sent you one of those TES Conversation things. Of course I will help, if I possibly can. In order to open your Conversation, you need to click on your avatar in the top right-hand corner of the screen. (My avatar is a picture of me having a chat with Mrs Hippopotamus in the bath.) Anyway, click on the picture and a menu should appear. Select "Conversations" and you should be able to read my message.

3. the hippo

As you may have perhaps guessed from the title, my blog bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com is mostly about China and Bulgaria, two of my favourite countries. However, there are also some ME-related posts as well and some that focus specifically on Qatar, where Mr and Mrs Hippopotamus were living for five years.

4. ethshamm

ethshamm New commenter

Hi, just been reading along this thread and kinda put together that The hippo seems to know a lot more about jobs in Qatar than me.

I'm a RQT looking to work with my wife who is also a teacher abroad in Qatar. I have an interview coming up and was wondering whats the minimum i should be expecting in terms of the package. I was wondering if i could get some advice please

Thank you!

5. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

@ethshamm you're an NQT but with an R. So no more than 1 maybe 2 years experience. Your minimum will widely depend on the school. From 7.5k - 10k - 12500 QR per month. Some schools will also put new arrivals, arrivals no matter the years of experience in shared accommodation. There are also some (lower) "international" schools who pay their HoD 11000/month (ouch!).

If your possible school is, to put it bluntly, more questionable than your wife's. Keeping your marriage quiet isn't a bad tactic to do. Otherwise, say goodbye to the better benefits (not salary) your wife is on.

6. ethshamm

ethshamm New commenter

Thank you for the feedback. I'll definitely take that on board.

Although i do have to ask, am i better off applying for different school close with my wife or applying at the same school (We are both science teachers with 3 and 2 years experience)

Thank you!

7. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

"am i better off applying for different school close with my wife or applying at the same school"

?

Do you like your wife?

8. ethshamm

ethshamm New commenter

haha i think i like her... enough to marry her anyway lol.

Asking to know which method has more chances of both of us having a teaching role.

9. the hippo

No, i do NOT know everything that there is to be known about teaching in Qatar. Or China. Or anywhere, come to that. Yes, I do try to help other teachers, ethshamm, but my information is not always up-to-date and 100% reliable.

With regards to your question about applying as a married couple, I would say that many schools are very happy to employ married couples (and I would stress the "married" bit, if we are talking about the ME). There are quite a lot of reasons for this, the most important (probably) being that it is cheaper for the school to employ couples. There is also the added factor that it helps to foster a more stable, family atmosphere. Sometimes the school will be very eager to give a job to one member of the couple, but they will still find (or make) a job for the other one.

10. taiyah

What is a (very) quiet tactic is applying in separate schools. In this academic year alone, I know of 5 married couples, no children who applied for different schools.

Why did they do this? To get the best of the packages they've been offered as two separate people.

If your wife is already in one of the good schools with one of the better packages in the country then by all means apply to that school.

If your wife is not and the package is so-so then why not try the schools with a better package? No harm in throwing your hat in there. You're a science teacher, my advice is try the better schools.

11. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

It's actually not legal to take 2 s
    The member of staff would be required to state if they are married or not. If they are married, one of the schools does not have to provide some benefits. If they say they are not married in order to get more benefits, then they cannot live together in the same place. That said, some schools do not mind giving these additional benefits but it is usually reduced a little. Best to be honest.

12. taiyah

But you know full well that certain living arrangements continue and will always exist.

There are schools who have now realised that they are financially worse off absorbing the spouse's benefits. Abosorbing the costs of a teacher who does not work for the school. One prime example are the return flight and accommodation. Certainly in the 2 establishments that I know where they left things the way they are.

13. WBSBCBA

WBSBCBA New commenter

Hi Hippo!

Could you please send me your email address as well? I got an offer from a school in Qatar and need guidance.

Thank you so much!

14. the hippo

Yes, I have sent you one of those TES Conversation things, WBSBCBA.

WBSBCBA likes this.
  15. scienceteacher1986

scienceteacher1986 New commenter

Hi, sorry to piggy back on the thread but I am considering applying to teach in the Qatar, UAE area (I like the idea of a tax free salary!) I’m a single female in my early 30s and was wondering if anyone can shed some light on the social side of things there, how easy it is too meet new people etc... I don’t want to move somewhere without a good expat community and end up struggling to meet people. If anyone can offer some insight into life over there then it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

16. the hippo

Yes, scienceteacher1986, there are lots of expats in Qatar. In fact, there are a lot more expats than there are Qataris. This "tax free salary" thing is a bit more complicated. Anyway, I have sent you one of those TES Conversation things and so you need to click on your avatar in the top right-hand corner of the screen. Then a little menu will appear.

17. Bridgegirl

Bridgegirl New commenter

I’m also going to piggy off this thread. I am a first year, single female from Canada and I recently had an interview at a school in Qatar and will most likely be getting a contract. I was wondering if I could get some more information about salary, school review, etc. before moving forward. Hippo are you still willing to give out some advice? Or is there anyone else who has any advice or want to provide some input about moving there?

18. the hippo

Bridgegirl, of course! I have sent you one of those TES Conversation things. You need to click on your avatar in the top right-hand corner of the screen. (You seem to be one of those mysterious Blue People, Bridgegirl, whereas my avatar shows me and my dear wife having a chat in the bath.)

19. malsevtar79

malsevtar79 New commenter

Hello, I'd like to request a message from Hippo as well if he doesn't mind. I'm a single female in my mid-twenties, hopefully heading to Qatar any day now.

My visa still hasn't been processed but the school says it should be soon. They've said they still need us according to their enrollment numbers and that we'll be paid for September, even if teaching is done remotely. I'm willing to wait it out for the time being and hope for the best because I'm coming from Florida... the school situation is a disaster here so I'm pretty desperate to leave.

20. the hippo

Hello, malsevtar79! Yes, of course I will help you, as much as I can. I have sent you one of those TES Conversation things.