1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Qatar

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by zashmon, Jan 16, 2018.

1. james_1979

james_1979 New commenter

There are "colourful and interesting" schools. However, there are "colourful and interesting" schools around the world. A few things to consider:
    1) There's literally less money around the world particularly here so think twice about your main drive in coming to the desert.
    2) This means, schools are cutting back. There are schools that make all their non-managerial recruits bunk together. No fun in your 30s or 40s.
    3) You get the right establishment for you both financially and accommodation wise, then your bank balance will be healthy.... Yes, the culture shock will get to you and still get you 6+ years down the track. But if buying a property and paying it off quick smart is along the lines of your real motivation then do it!
    4) Everything is not a mission in terms of bank acc, car rentals, doctor checks, if, again, you land the right school who will help you with everything. But driving licences is another. If you have a UK & Australian licence then you are fine. USA, Switzerland and other countries, you have to do every test. You have to do this independently and could be a mission.

2. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

If you are a teacher from the UK then life is much easier. If not, then something that takes an hour to get done can take days or weeks such as opening an account, immigration paper work, doc visits and much more.

As the previous commentator said, many schools are cutting down which includes some of the top schools. So think carefully about coming here to save money. Those who say that they come here for the lifestyle then I fail to believe that. Definitely not as a teacher. However, may be so for other professions that pay 30000 qar plus. As Westerners, teachers are paid they least at around 14000 qar whilst a photographer or restaurant manager may be on 25000 qar per month.

If with family then life can be enjoyable here but as a single there are limited options as to what you can do. I mainly see singles just waiting for the weekend to get drunk at a brunch or something. Then again, being drunk outside is a punishable crime. I've heard of drunk expats being sent down for months or deported for going in to a taxi drunk. I guess it depends if you get in to the wrong taxi.

If someone is thinking about coming to Qatar, I would say "Do it" but expect to go through some really difficult days. Its all part of the experience.

3. dash201

dash201 New commenter

So what are people's thoughts of Qatar so far?

4. tee_ali

tee_ali New commenter

Hi hippo

How do I send a message to you?

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I have sent one to you, tee_all. Perhaps I could be of some help.

6. choudhurynadeem

choudhurynadeem New commenter

Hi Hippo

I’d like to talk to you about Qatar as well. I figure out how to PM or start a conversation.

I’ve been offered a job in Doha and need some information about the cost of living

7. the hippo

Please send me a Conversation thing, choudhurynadeem.

8. choudhurynadeem

choudhurynadeem New commenter

Hi Hippo

I can’t for the life of me work out how to send/start a conversation. Could you start one with me please then it will work? Thanks

9. the hippo

Yes, no problem. You need to click on the little picture of yourself that should be at the top right-hand corner of your screen. As you can see, this photo shows me looking even more good-looking and attractive than usual.

10. mrs_m87

mrs_m87 New commenter

Hello Hippo can you please kindly send me a PM as well then I can reply to you? I also can't find the message icon. Thank you.

11. the hippo

Yes, mrs_m87, I have sent you one of those silly TES Convewrsation things. Maybe I can be of some help.