1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Qatar

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by zashmon, Jan 16, 2018.

1. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

It is possible to start the residency process before you both arrive. Actually, that’s the “proper” way.
    It is not possible to complete the process before you arrive. Just to clear up any misconceptions, you start from home and finish in Qatar.

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Some schools are a lot more "on the ball" than others. When I had the misfortune to work at one of the "rotten apple" schools, it usually took several months for your residency to be sorted out.

3. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Not many offer within walking distance and walking is not something people do here. Most will offer non single status and those that dont, then not worth working for.

4. truth_seeker12

Dead place with not much to do. Tough life there but many manage. Ive visited 3 times and return unhappy as there wasn't anything to do. There is just Al Khor park for kids and Balanda farm which you can see in 5 min and spend a lot to get in to.

You can travel to Lusail but there also isn't anything to do there. There is a shooting club and a circuit.

Best not to go with non working family as they will not manage the boredom. Unless, you live near other families.

5. truth_seeker12

Not anymore. Can only get work visa before arriving. The rest has to be done after rental and work contract have been attested.

6. gulfgolf

I don't quite understand. If you have to get the work visa before arriving, what "rest" needs to be done after? And how is that different from "start at home, finish in Qatar"?

7. dash201

dash201 New commenter

You need to complete a medical, fingerprints and complete the residency process which is painless if the school organises it well enough.

8. gulfgolf

That sounds the same as it's been for yonks and yonks. What's changed?

9. truth_seeker12

W
    with regards to attestation, the process starts in the UK with Notary, FCO and Embassy .Then when in Qatar, FCO and translation.

The medical and finger prints need to be done as well in Qatar but some schools ask for medical whilst in the UK.

10. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

QP require a medical before you go and then give you a medical on arrival.
    I went to Qatar for an interview which also included a medical. I accepted the job and 3 months later I went back to the same medical centre and did the same medical. The staff could see from my records that I had been there recently but gave me another medical anyway. It is the QP way.

11. zashmon

zashmon New commenter

I cannot pm you as I am a new member. Maybe you can pm me. Thanks

12. mariamkhan1

mariamkhan1 New commenter

How are those moving to Qatar feeling? I started my journey en route to Qatar months ago....I’m flying out in August.

Just want to say thank you to everyone who commented and took the time to help!

13. zashmon

zashmon New commenter

All the best and keep us posted

14. truth_seeker12

Thats the Qatar visa process and not a QP thing. Each time the visa number changes, you need to do another medical. My wife had to do 2 medicals in 1 week as the visa number changed, at the same location and the same medical exam each time.

15. the hippo

Friends who have worked for QP have told me that they do have some odd ways of doing things.

16. the hippo

Dear Saffiyah, yes, I have replied to your TES Conversation thing.

safiyyahbbn likes this.
  17. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Saffiya (I guess this is your name?), you are not allowed to name specific schools on TES. You will find your post gets deleted. In addition to this:

1 The school you mention may well be looking through these threads and won’t be happy you have named them
    2 They will know it is you as your screen name gives this away (assuming your name is Saffiya)

I would suggest:

1 requesting with TES that your comments are deleted - although they may well do this anyway
    2 Changing your screen name to give yourself a little more anonymity

Hope this helps

safiyyahbbn likes this.
  18. the hippo

Yes, some sensible advice from stopwatch, as usual. Using your real name on any Internet forum is NOT a safe thing to do, especially if you give out personal information. (As you have probably guessed, I conceal my real identity because I do not want anyone to know that I am a giraffe.)

And yes, stoppers is right. The TES Moderators are in the habit of deleting threads if specific schools are named.

Anyway, to answer your questions, yes, it is normal procedure for schools to pay the airfares for all of your family. Mrs Hippo's flights were always paid by the school. When I was in Shenzhen, my school stumped up the price of airfares for the children of staff members as well. This is par for the course in most international schools. If your new school does not do this, Saffiyah, then alarm bells should start ringing! Yes, there are usually some limits, so you should not buy the most expensive tickets you can find. A few schools simply give the teachers an extra dollop of cash and it is up to you how and when you spend it on tickets or whatever.

Most teachers in Qatar have apartments and so you are pretty lucky if you are getting a villa. The villas at Al Khor are adequate. No, they do not have huge gardens and swimming pools, but there are some communal facilities.

safiyyahbbn likes this.
  19. bec_payne

bec_payne New commenter

I am currently in my fifth and final year in Al Khor. I'm happy to help

travellingteacher21 likes this.
  20. travellingteacher21

travellingteacher21 New commenter

Your help would be great. If only I could manage to PM you :(