1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Qatar

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by zashmon, Jan 16, 2018.

1. mariamkhan1

mariamkhan1 New commenter

IS 10200 a good salary for a third year teacher ?? If you get free accommodation?

2. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Nothing there. lol

Its funny how much of nothing there is to do there compared to Doha

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

mariamkhan1, "free" accommodation is not so free if your flat happens to be next to a mosque with very LOUD loudspeakers. This is what happened to a friend of mine. She had to move her bed into the kitchen because the racket was so deafening. "Free" accommodation is not so free if it happens to be in the grottiest and dingyiest part of Doha, where single gals feel uncomfortable walking during the day, never mind at night. "Free" accommodation definitely is not free if you have to spend a fortune on taxis (if you can get one) or on renting a car to get anywhere. "Free" accommodation is also not so free if you happen to find yourself sharing with someone you do not get along with or else you just want to have a place to yourself.

Sorry if all of that seems a bit negative, mariamkhan1, but alas some schools in Doha are pretty mean and unscrupulous when it comes to apartments for their teachers.

bec_payne and Mr_Frosty like this.
  4. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

And 10,200 is a poor salary.

Please check if accom is shared, medical insurance is included, flights home once a year.

For me, shared accom is a showstopper.

5. the hippo

I have just re-read my post and it does seem to be horribly negative, gloom and doom. Sorry about that, folks, but good accommodation is a very important issue for many teachers.

10,200 is not a great salary. Yes, I would agree, moscowbore.

6. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

I have no experience of Qatar (or the Middle East) but I do wish schools would realise that for anyone, particularly if they are more than a few years out of university, accommodation is a dealbreaker.

Unless I were 25 and wanting the travel opportunities I would not be prepared to live in shared accommodation. I also require somewhere pleasant in a reasonable and safe area.

I turned down what appeared to be a reasonably good offer last year, mostly because the school itself admitted the accommodation for staff was a little old and run down. I also nearly left a school 8 years ago because on arrival I found the apartment unsatisfactory (the school in question had the common sense to put it right pronto and so kept a teacher for 8 years).

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  7. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I thought it was only in the Middle East that schools offer shared accommodation.
    I agree with Roux though, it would be a deal breaker for me too. Saying that i have been lucky and lived in some awesome places while abroad, not not paid a penny for any of them.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  8. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

I only know of one school in Abu Dhabi that has shared accommodation and they also offer the lowest salary I've heard of too. It would be a huge deal breaker for me - I take an allowance and probably pay more than I should but having a place to live I love makes it worth it for me.

tigi likes this.
  9. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

Yes, had I known the situation with my accommodation here in Abu Dhabi, I would have really considered turning it down.

10. mariamkhan1

mariamkhan1 New commenter

So I accepted the job....we are leaving in August for Doha. I’ll give updates as it goes on. The salary is not great but I’m hoping that a nice place to live and decent school wil compensate for that....

By the way thanks to everyone that posts negative or not it’s super helpful!

11. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

I think you are cuckoo dreaming if you think you'll be in a decent school in Doha. So, poor salary, poor school and no idea what kind of cheap or shared accommodation you will have to survive in, and nothing in the contract about EXACTLY what the accommodation will be, location, standard, facilities so not a leg to stand on. Don't forget to hand over your passport to your employer on arrival.

Oh dear but good luck.

12. fayesongz

fayesongz New commenter

I have accepted a job in Doha. How can I renegotiate my pay?
    I have been reading online that some people have been offered more than 15,000 QAR
    I have sent the acceptance form back to them for 13,000. Is this okay? Do you think I ca ask for more politely?

Thanks

13. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

14. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

No.
    A, you already accepted. You would laugh if they politely asked you if they could lower your salary.
    B, there will always be someone who earns more than you. In a different school. Or country. Or with more experience. That doesn’t mean you can expect the same.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  15. anitacarapinheiro

anitacarapinheiro New commenter

Hippo I got a job offer to Qatar.
    Could you please give me your email? to speak about it? ty

16. the hippo

I will send it to you asap.

17. mrrwilliams1983

mrrwilliams1983 New commenter

Hello everyone,

Hope it´s Ok if I jump in here and ask a question about visa sponsorship.

I´m potentially moving to teach in Qatar but we have been told that my wife will have to wait to get the dependents visa. This could take months apparently. In the meantime she would have a tourist visa meaning she would have to move out later and then possibly have to leave the country again and again?? Is this the case?

My wife might enjoy some time away from me but not sure I could survive!

Aim4Jannah likes this.
  18. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Tell the school to get STUFFED!

It is possible for the school to obtain you AND YOUR WIFE a visa to enter the country at the same time, they just don't want to spend the time, effort and money to do so!

Email the head and tell them you are not turning up to work unless your wife has her residency as well as you when your arrive.

19. mrrwilliams1983

mrrwilliams1983 New commenter

thank you february!

Did you enjoy your time over there?

20. february31st

february31st Established commenter

You can have a great time in the ME if you like been treated like slave labour.