1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Qatar

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by zashmon, Jan 16, 2018.

1. zashmon

zashmon New commenter

Hi , do schools in Qatar offer single status accommodation? Which schools offer this to teachers? Prefer non sharing accommodation? Are any schools walking distance to the accommodation?
    Thanks

2. PuRe

PuRe New commenter

Hey,
    Yes some schools do offer single status accommodation & some are near the schools some may even provide transportation to/from school. There are so many schools you are going to have a look on their site or TES if they are advertising.

zashmon likes this.
  3. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

When considering a teaching job in Qatar, the usual procedure is to contact a smelly old hippo.

4. zashmon

zashmon New commenter

5. zashmon

zashmon New commenter

Thank you so much! Can you perhaps name some of these schools that offer single status accommodation please? I seem to come across adverts with shared accommodation.

6. PuRe

PuRe New commenter

I cant actually name them here but will send a conversation

7. zashmon

zashmon New commenter

How do you send a conversation? Where will i find it

8. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

When I want to see if I have any conversations, zashmon, I click on the photograph of my handsome face that appears in the top right-hand corner of the screen.

9. zashmon

zashmon New commenter

Thank you. I figured it out.

10. Happyaslarry2018

Happyaslarry2018 New commenter

Hi hippo I need some help in looking for a teaching role in Qatar. I know I can’t go into detail here I’m looking for any recruiter/agencies you might know/ can recommend

Thanks in advance.

11. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Be very careful about which schools you apply to. I know people in 6 different schools and out of them 5 have major issues. Read views and inquire about them in detail.

PM me which subject you teach and maybe I can assist

12. Happyaslarry2018

Happyaslarry2018 New commenter

Still trying to figure out how to PM.

13. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

I taught in qatar for 5 years. Left there 3 years ago. Mostly, in my experience, teachers stay in qatar until they cannot stand it any longer. One departing expat told me,"I know if I get cut up by a nutter in a landcruiser one more time I will lose it and go to jail. Time to go.".
    I know people who have been there 20 years or more. They have made a lot of money and know their lifestyle would be impossible anywhere else. It is the money that keeps them there.
    Most people who have been in qatar for a short while figure out that stress is massively reduced if you reduce contact with the state. Everything is a mission. Bank accounts, cars, insurance, cable tv, internet are all events which can take several days of dealing with ridiculous administration requiring mountains of completely unnecessary paperwork.
    There is also the simple fact that you will meet many people in positions of authority who will maliciously screw up your life just because they can.
    Grin and bank it and then go somewhere nice.

SPC2 likes this.
  14. krista_millen

krista_millen New commenter

Can you send me info on teaching in Qatar? This is my first time on this msg board
    n