1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Qatar with spouse and children

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by jam_masters, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Hi, we have been looking to move to the Middle East for some time, but with 3 children, we appear to be a rather unattractive (expensive) package. We have had an offer, but the salary seems a little low and we have to pay for the kids' flights ourselves. Anyone out there with similar experience? Is a lower standard package to be expected due to wife and 3 kids, or do we hold out for something better?

2. Hi, we have been looking to move to the Middle East for some time, but with 3 children, we appear to be a rather unattractive (expensive) package. We have had an offer, but the salary seems a little low and we have to pay for the kids' flights ourselves. Anyone out there with similar experience? Is a lower standard package to be expected due to wife and 3 kids, or do we hold out for something better?

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

It is a diffcult one. I think you have a couple of choices.
    1. Hold out for a position that would make it viable for you and your family to move out. This coule take a long time to come about. If it is tough making ends meet in the UK, it is even tougher when you are abroad and social security is not available for you.
    2. Take a job where you can make do, gain experience and then apply for a better school with more options.
    None of these are easy or without potential pitfalls. There are some things which really should be unnegotiable, namely health care, flights, children's school fees and decent accommodation.
    It is easier if you are a HoD, SMT and/or in a shortage subject. Being a teaching couple also makes you more attractive.
    Good luck.

4. Make sure that the accomodation is provided free and ask for typical values for any bills.

If accomodation is not provided in Qatar then forget it unless the pay is outstanding.

Rent is very expensive in Qatar.

You will need to get a car too.

In the summer it is too hot to walk anywhere and you want good AC.

No. Good employers pay for one annual family set of flights per year. Teachers with children often are more stable and are a better bet.
    BTW driving in Doha is insane.

5. For number 2) One potential pitfall is that not all Schools in Qatar allow you to move to another school at the end of your contract. You will need a no objection letter to move schools, and some schools DO NOT give this.

School fees are expensive in Qatar. At the school i worked at it was 45,000 QR for the year....

6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Don't go without a package that covers the whole family for flights, accommodation, medical, school fees.
    In a pinch, maybe considering going if the above covers 2 of the 3 children and you have to pay for the other, but consider that carefully as it can get very expensive, particularly medical and school fees.
    If the school won't cover your family, they are sending a clear message about their priorities and how much they will try to do for you.
    Some schools, including all the Qatar Foundation schools, cover up to 4 children.

7. Thanks to everyone for the replies. My initial offer was 2 of the 3 children having their fees paid and 50% of the 3rd, which I thought was OK, but we had to subsidise the accomodation, pay for the childrens' flights and medical cover. The salary was on the low side and there were a few other questionable factors. A further interview has resulted in another offer, better salary and full package! Needless to say I will be accepting!
    Thanks again for your replies.

8. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

I have sent you a PM, jam_masters.