1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Qatar 2019

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Teaching_abroad, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Teaching_abroad

Teaching_abroad New commenter

Does anyone have information on if it possible to leave a teaching job in Qatar before your contract is up? As in will it be difficult to leave the role / country if things don't work out?

2. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

you cannot just walk out of a job, professionally speaking, a contract will have been signed. However if you want to leave, you cannot be held against your will, as usually notice must be given like in any school in the UK.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

You can quit, sure. It probably won’t be difficult to leave the country but in theory your employer could make it unpleasant. And expensive.
    If you’re thinking of quitting before even going, why go? A positive, can-do attitude is a huge advantage in moving to a new culture and job.

4. ash719

ash719 New commenter

Agree with gulfgolf - if you're going Aug/Sep '19 then you should be ready to give it your best come what may.
    Having said that if things aren't working out then you could have a chat with your employer and mutually agree to end the contract in a professional manner. There are some schools with mutual probation periods etc. If all else fails there is the option of getting on a plane and not going back - not ideal.
    Nerves are understandable but if it's anything more than that which makes you think you might want to leave before your contract is up then it might be worth thinking through all the aspects of your new job/school again.

5. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

If one really wants to leave they will. How they do so it is another question. A few things to think about if you take the questionable way.

1) QA and the UK have a reciprocal agreement meaning if your employer or bank want to chase you for money owing they can.
    2) Despite the "abolishment" NOCs. If you screwed your previous employer they can refuse your new visa application. Some people think they can utilize the 12 month grace period then come back to get a new job. Not the case.

Good luck!

6. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

If you leave within probation then you are ok. If contract says you can give notice and leave then you are ok. If employer abuses you then you can leave with 30 days notice. If you want to leave for any other reason then they can block you from returning. Most people just don't tell the school and leave. Why go to Qatar with the intention of leaving?

7. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

I think it so cute and comical that people expect a contract to be in any way legally enforceable in Qatar. Ah bless!

8. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

A fairly uneducated comment.

You would be surprised. If it is attested by the Ministry then it is enforced.

Do be careful as the contract that you are given initially may not be the same as what you sign when you get there.

9. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Contracts for teachers are a Western invention, and to attract unbelievers to an Arab country, lip service must be paid (not in a rude way, of course). When any Middle Eastern country actually delivers what it promises and joins up all the dots from what was promised at interview to what is actually given in the country at the job, celebrate wildly as it does happen, but not often.

10. moscowbore

No I would not be surprised. I would be astonished.
    I have personal experience of teachers being sacked for nothing more than parking in a space that a local wanted. One call and it was done.
    The locals can do no wrong. Make no mistake, a contract is utterly worthless.

Sleyshon likes this.
  11. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I received everything mentioned in my interviews and actually quite a bit more. everyone at my school received their full allotment.
    I heard many stories over the years about western expatriates being abused by Qataris, but verified stories were rarities. My spouse and I each had traffic accidents, one each during our many years there, each the fault of a Qatari driver. This is the classic abuse story, where the Qatari is “supposed” to have blamed it all on us, given us the runaround, caused us all sorts of issues. Never happened. Both our wayward drivers took full responsibility, made the process easy for us and paid all the bills. Many of my colleagues have similar happy stories to share, and I have other similar stories of my own. Abuse does happen, just as Brits sometimes abuse immigrants in the UK, but it’s far rarer than the gossip might suggest. More common for non-white expats, more the pity, but we don’t need to dramatize the typical western expat experience.

teachtronic likes this.
  12. moscowbore

I would suggest, gulfgolf, that you paint a rosy picture.

It is ridiculous to even suggest that the abuse heaped on non-white workers on a daily basis in Qatar is in any way the same as immigrant abuse in the UK. Institutional racism is not part of UK culture or law.

binaryhex likes this.
  13. moscowbore

I would add that if any school wished to change your salary without speaking to you, advertise your job without speaking to you, change your timetable without speaking to you or Qatarise your job and give you 3 months notice that you must leave the country there is absolutely nothing to stop them.

All it takes is for a local to say that you said something "anti-islamic" and you are out. No questions asked.

I have personal experience of all of the above.

14. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Hmm. I think that the truth might be somewhere between the stark picture painted by moscowbore and the rather rose-tinted image created by gulfgolf.

Yes, I do accept that foreigners and visitors to the UK are not always made to feel welcome. This is embarrassing, shameful. Mrs. Hippo and I have lived in one or two different countries around the world over the last twenty years or so and we have only encountered friendliness, kindness and hospitality. One of the worst things about BREXIT is that it appears to have legitimized rudeness and xenophobia.

In gulfgolf's defence, it must be said that a lot does depend on your school. A good school in Qatar will have an efficient HR department that will smooth out all kinds of difficulties. A well-run school will be able to arrange your RP quickly and give you advice about driving licences and so on. In many schools, however, the HR people will be some lazy relatives of the school's owners and they won't want to do anything to help you. One of the scummy schools will not give you a pleasant apartment, but the cheapest one they can find and that will probably be in the grottiest part of Doha, right next to the very LOUD loudspeakers of a mosque.

15. skiqueen1

skiqueen1 New commenter

It is possible to leave a post in Qatar without needing a NOC or exit visa. Both of these are not needed as of January 2019.
    Friend's have left one post here in July and returned the following August under a new visa etc and haven't had any problems with their new RP.

16. vcorreiapinto

vcorreiapinto New commenter

This so true - I was offered a two year contract with gratuity, being 1 month salary, at the end of the contract but once I arrived I had to sign a 1 year contract, there and then, with the gratuity being my base pay that was 1/3 of my monthly salary.

17. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Qatar is a particularly shiny example of where this happens a lot, not just in schools either. You think you can nail things down before you go, but you can't. Just assume you will be stuffed on arrival, and if it doesn't happen it's a bonus.

18. vcorreiapinto

You should give some notice so that they can find a suitable replacement, but if you are desperate to leave because you dislike the school, most people just disappear overnight. As long as the school cancels your RP before exiting the country then you're fine to return any time.

19. vcorreiapinto

Haha true - at the end of the day, I'm taking home double my salary back in Europe, not paying council tax or rent, get free flights here and back every year and my workload is halved, so I try to keep my head down, smile and be friendly, and watch what comes out of my mouth, knowing that this is not forever. I've been here two years and, yes there are things that happen here that shocks and surprises me, things which would never happen back home, but then I look at my savings account and the growing balance keeps me soldiering on.

20. moscowbore

Grin and bank it.

binaryhex likes this.