1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Paris

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by tomathy, Aug 9, 2011.

1. I am a primary school teacher in London and have been teaching for 3 years now. My girlfriend has just been offered a place at a university in Paris starting in September 2012 so I am considering continuing my teaching career there. Does anyone know how I would go about finding teaching jobs there? How easy is it to find a job at an international school in Paris?

Thanks!

2. I am a primary school teacher in London and have been teaching for 3 years now. My girlfriend has just been offered a place at a university in Paris starting in September 2012 so I am considering continuing my teaching career there. Does anyone know how I would go about finding teaching jobs there? How easy is it to find a job at an international school in Paris?

Thanks!

3. I lived in Paris for a year, although not as a teacher, and loved it. There aren't that many fully international schools so I would recommend contacting them directly.
    You can't name schools on here but the most prestigious is definitely the one to the west, near Le Vésinet but I think they have a pretty low turnover of staff. The other international school that follows the British curriculum is the one near the Eiffel Tower.
    There are also two American International Schools that I don't know much about.
    Then you have the French private schools (and possibly state schools too) that have English sections in them.

4. Tomathy - if you speak any French at all, consider looking for jobs in a banlieue or otherwise not an international school - I did a teaching placement in a primary school over in the Cergy-Pontoise direction and the area may well be very deprived, it was an incredibly rewarding experience!

5. The main international schools are the International School of Paris, the British school, the American school, the Lycee International and the Ecole Active Bilingue. State school teachers in France are not well paid and some of the private schools offer similar salaries while others pay really well. All the above schools have websites, so you could look them up and send a speculative application. They also advertise for supply pretty much all year round.