1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in oz

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by sarm, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Hi I know that this topic has probably come up loads of times here but I have only just registered today!

I want to work abroad preferably Australia but am afraid to go it alone! Does anyone know where I can find out about other people interested in working abroad or any agencies that hook you up with people in a similar situation!

I really want to go for it(before I hit 30!!!) so any advice would be good!
    Sar

2. Hi I know that this topic has probably come up loads of times here but I have only just registered today!

I want to work abroad preferably Australia but am afraid to go it alone! Does anyone know where I can find out about other people interested in working abroad or any agencies that hook you up with people in a similar situation!

I really want to go for it(before I hit 30!!!) so any advice would be good!
    Sar

3. Sar,
    I've just browsed the 'teaching overseas' forum and I intend to emigrate to Oz, in 2009 (gaining primary experience/ paying back debts).

Are you talking about going for a year? (sounds like a working holiday visa b4 30). I did it '96-7 and can thoroughly recommend it- life there will blow you away...!

Have you thought where you want to go? State? Other countries? To teach there?

As for meeting people, well, you just will, Sydney or Melbourne might be my preferred cities to live in if I were you...Youth hostels where you'll start out when you arrive till you get established will allow you to network loads!

Fire any other questions you might have on this thread, but by all means get some money together and DO it! :)

4. Hi
    I live and work in Darwin. There are plenty of teaching vacancies as long as you have the work permit. Do you teach High School PE, cos we cant find a teacher at the moment!!! Darwin is a small town really but we call it a city. It is a lovely place, relaxed lifestyle,tropical weather, plenty of backpackers, travellers, easy to meet people and I say....go for it. I was a pommie backpacker 20 years ago , arrived at sydney airport stood at the door and said "Hmmm, now what?" Just do it, the hardest thing is making the decision to leave! Good luck.

5. Recognise there isn't one education system in Oz; it's a state matter

6. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

7. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Sorry about that, it should have been on the other thread and my apologies also for stretching the page.

8. Hi Sar, I'm planning on going to Oz in July on a Working Holiday Visa. Am going on my own so would be good to be in contact with people doing the same thing...

9. Do they have many vacancies for foreign language teachers by any chance?

10. roverfan

roverfan New commenter

HinOz, do you know much about the chances of sponserhip to work in the nt. I'm 5 points short of being able to get a skilled visa but would love to work in darwin or any of the northern terriority (outback,remote...anywhere!)- already had a working holiday visa so no luck there. Still only halfway through my PGCE (primary) so got at least a few years to get some experience but just wondered if there was much chance...am thinking not..sigh!

11. Hi, I want to go to Oz this year so I agree, Macca, it'd be good to know others going out there at the same time..
    I went in 2005 as part of a holiday but I didn't do any work while there. I totally loved melbourne so that's where I want to go back to. I want to supply teach when i go this time so is a holiday working visa ok (I'm under 30) or do i need to get a 'proper' one?
    Any advice or contacts who are thinking of doing the same/have done the same would be greatfully received!

12. Hi Charmster, glad to hear you're planning on taking the plunge too.
    Well from what I've seen you can work as a supply (called a Casual Relief Teacher out there) on a Working Holiday Visa. There are agencies but it's not like it is out here. You have to register with each state you want to work in (so in your case Victoria) which is a bit of a pain and costs money by all accounts. The best way of securing work is by going to individual schools and handing them your CV. There are certain times when they are more likely to recruit CRTs; basically not just before the big holidays and during exams like over here.
    If you want anymore info or you want to share travelling plans, then email me on Macca0606@yahoo.co.uk.

13. Hi sarm,
    I know this is an old thread but you seem to be in a similar situation to me (and there are probably a few others). I want to travel and work in Oz on a working holiday visa but am a bit scared to go it alone! I am also aware the the clock is ticking as I must do this before I am 30 if I am to obtain a WHV. If you (or anyone else for that matter) is in a similar situation get in touch. I really admire all those people who can just up sticks and leave. I want to travel and do supply work along the way, but would be great to have a travel companion in a similar boat.

14. Hi to all have posted a message.

Just to let you know, a working holiday visa is fine but you can only stay in same employment for 3 months max continuously.

Just in case this will affect your decision.

15. get your approval before you leave the uk otherwise it can be a nightmare!!!!!!!!

16. Hi I am plannig on going to OZ this yr. Im also in samed boat I live in N.Ireland and would love to no of others goin. I want to go in end Aug start Sept time. Wen is everyone goin I have my visa already. so glad to see this post.