1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teaching in OZ

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by dasker, Sep 21, 2018.

  1. dasker

    dasker New commenter

    Hi guys
    Finally had my arm twisted to get the ball rolling in regards to teaching in Melbourne
    What’s the first step?
    Idiot guide would be ace
    Thank you
  2. T0nyGT

    T0nyGT Lead commenter

    Apply for 189/190 visa (you need a degree, PGCE, years of experience and a IELTS). Pay the £2.5k. Wait at least 1 year for the visa to be granted (if you're even successful which is less likely in Melbourne). Arrive in Melbourne unemployed and desperately look for a job while paying insane rent.

    I'm not saying it's not possible, but you need at least 10k in savings (which you're willing to spend) and a shortage subject like Maths and Physics
  3. dasker

    dasker New commenter

    So if Melbourne is very expensive
    Only stayed in the main three where
    Perth Sydney Melbourne
    Cheers for help
    Head of House and teacher of PE
    Is my subject area
  4. T0nyGT

    T0nyGT Lead commenter

    I'd get your visa sorted before you start thinking about cities.
  5. dasker

    dasker New commenter

    So i best get that form you suggested done then!
  6. T0nyGT

    T0nyGT Lead commenter

    It can all be done online. A 189 is where you request a state to sponsor you (Victoria for example) and a 190 is just an independent application. Even if they sponsor you, you still have to pay the full amount. However, you only pay if your application is successful.

    Before that though you need to get your certificates assessed by the AITSL. This costs about 450 pounds and takes 10 weeks exactly for some reason. Also, you probably won't have enough points for the visa unless you have done some study in Australia. You therefore need to book an IELTS as well to top up your points.

    You also need to register with your desired state teaching council too. This takes about 2 months.

    Basically, if you start today there's a chance you might make the January 2020 academic year. There's also a chance you won't ever get a visa depending on how much they think they need PE teachers.
  7. taiyah

    taiyah Occasional commenter

    Victoria, Qld and NSW is saturated by HPE (Health and PE) new national curriculum. Unless you have played a sport on a National or Professional level and have got connections particularly in the private system; by the time you arrive in Oz you will have 15+ candidates (per school) ahead of you who already have school contacts and are doing supply for them already. If you are happy to do all the immigration including completing the mandatory AITSL unit of work you will need to complete then go for it... But be prepared to do supply for years for which your visa will run out as no school will ever sponsor a PE teacher. Good luck.
  8. taiyah

    taiyah Occasional commenter

    Oh I forgot to say that your HoH experience won't put you ahead unfortunately. Most schools, for which I agree with, give those internally. It makes sense because nearly all of those teachers have been in the same school or system for at least 3 years and to be fair they will know the system and kids better than yourself. Best of luck.
  9. Sherbear320

    Sherbear320 New commenter

    Unfortunately in Oz and NZ there is a glut of PE teachers may wanna get yourself another subl
    Je the math physics and then try
  10. T0nyGT

    T0nyGT Lead commenter

    Unfortunately, PE is always the hardest mainstream subject to transfer overseas. It's unlikely that you're going to be able to move to Australia on the back of your employability.

    Your best (and possibly only) chance is to apply for the visa on the strength and desirability of your spouse's career and then try and get in to schools once over there. That's if she/he can afford to support you though.

    I'd personally say it's a non starter.

    Keep an eye on the overseas jobs, find somewhere in South East Asia to work and vacation in Australia.
  11. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    Your best bet is to retrain as a plumber.
  12. dasker

    dasker New commenter

    It maybe a non starter- but I may as well give it a go

    What is the worst that can happen, gain a visa and look for work, and enjoy the Australian way of life
  13. dasker

    dasker New commenter

    great advise, thanks pal
  14. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    if you are willing to open up your horizons to other countries there is plenty of opportunities out there on the international circuit for PE teachers. dont limit yourself to British schools, there are plenty of other curriculums out there that would hire you.
  15. tigi

    tigi Occasional commenter

    It might seem harsh but these posters are just sharing a lot of experience and wisdom with you, it's just not always well expressed.

    I would say, go for it if:
    -you have significant personal ties to Oz that mean you must be yhere
    - you have a partner whose job will allow you a visa
    - you have plenty of savings you don't mind spending
    -you are realistic about the situation facing Aussie teachers and why so many work overseas now!
    -consider carefully what the lifestyle is you want, is it beach time, laid back work life balance, quality of living etc. These may be more or less accessible to you in Australia depending on your situation.

    The poster who mentions other international schools is into a good one, the lifestyle you desire may be available in a place you can also save money... Who knows?
  16. T0nyGT

    T0nyGT Lead commenter

    The worst that can happen is that you pay 10k+ for the visa and move, can't find a job and have to come back massively out of pocket and with a year down the drain. In fact, it sounds like this is the likely scenario rather than the worst-case.

    I would say keep an eye on the international PE jobs and get somewhere that can offer you the lifestyle you want
  17. dasker

    dasker New commenter

    Dubai doesn’t interest me
    Or does China/Thailand
    South Africa however!
  18. T0nyGT

    T0nyGT Lead commenter

    You might also want to look at the international schools in the USA which I guess would have a similar culture to Australia.
  19. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    Im with you @dasker, i cant ever think of a reason to go to Dubai;)

    There is a decent school in Joburg, and it has a very decent tax free package. But there are many many many countries out there that have great lifestyles. Just open up your horizons
    dasker likes this.
  20. dasker

    dasker New commenter

    Next question
    How do I apply for teaching jobs in SA!!!

Share This Page