1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Orkney and Shetland

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by DistantDreams89, Jun 20, 2017.

1. DistantDreams89

DistantDreams89 New commenter

Hi,

For anyone out there who has made the move from England to Scotland, Orkney and Shetland in particular, at Primary level, I am just wondering how difficult you found it and if the lack of curriculum knowledge held you back?

I have had success with supply but i'm thinking that my 6 years of primary experience in England (State and Independent schools) just isn't matching up to Scottish standards as I am not even getting interviews. I know the pool of jobs is quite small but during my supply interview I was told to apply for any jobs that came up with reassurance that I would be in with a chance.

Any advice would be welcomed :)

2. Mazod

Mazod Occasional commenter

I don't have any experience of Orkney or Shetland but I guess it just depends who else is applying! Keep at it. If they seemed positive about your chances you will get something eventually

DistantDreams89 likes this.
  3. DistantDreams89

DistantDreams89 New commenter

Thank you! I've just received feedback stating that lack of Curriculum for Excellence experience was the only thing holding me back but supply work should help that.

4. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

The move from teaching in England to teaching in Scotland isn't difficult. Getting a job will be easier if you've spent time making sure you are very familiar with the Curriculum for Excellence, National Improvement Hub, HGIOS, Education Scotland's website, Benchmarks, GIRFEC, SHANARRI, the MY World triangle etc. You'll then be able to answer interview questions about them and possibly quote relevant bits in your applications. It'll show you're serious about adapting the the Scottish system and have done your homework to make sure you can hit the ground running when you do get a job. I'm assuming you're already GTCS registered, if not get registered as soon as possible. If you're willing to work in the more remote locations, you'll be up against fewer applicants. There are a number of English teachers in the isles so it's not an unusual move. Keep applying for anything that takes your fancy.