1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Nigeria

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by jolet, Dec 6, 2011.

1. jolet

jolet New commenter

Don't!!!

2. Can't offer any advice as never been but I think 'don't' is a bit harsh. Research it , get a good package and do it if it suits :)

3. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

MisterMaker is the expert on this tranquil little country, and he'll be here shortly - unless last night's football game tipped him over the edge from semi to fully rabid.

4. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

To say I'm a bit miffed about the current footie situation is a slight understatement.[​IMG]
    I had noticed this post, but wasn't going to reply as the OP is married to a Nigerian and anything I do say is likely to offend. Then again, when has that stopped me before?
    No, "don't" isn't harse advise. If you have no reason to go to the cess pool of the world don't; similar to may first line, "don't go" is an understatement.
    Some may suggest I'm still bitter that the owners of the school I worked for owe me a thousands of pounds despite my dedicated service; but it's also things like being shot at and getting malaria which I would suggest are the reasons folk should avoid the place. Children get kidnapped and abuse (all sorts - sexual, physical and mental) is everywhere. Salary is **** poor considering the nightmare situation; typically averaging around £25,000 a year plus accommodation for standard teachers. Considering you can get that or more in any half decent Asian school (where lifestyles are a million - no exageration - times better) why would anyone want to go to Nigeria?

5. Your husband is Nigerian, so he will know what to do and what not to do and can advise you. Like anywhere in the world, Nigeria is what you make it. Yes, you have to be a bit more careful than in some other places but that's not necessarily a reason to steer clear. You had to be fairly careful in parts of the UK this summer. Do your research, especially on any school you're thinking of going to, but you'd do that anywhere else as well. Education is still respected in Nigeria, and that's a big plus for any teacher. Package will depend on school. Good luck!

6. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

B&B is talking out his / their aerse.
    Police in the UK rarely point guns at folk, and when they do they tend to have a reason. Students are shot by police on a fairly regular basis in Nigeria; whilst I was there 3 (confirmed) were killed by police in separate instances simply for being on a bus / car that passed by a police chck point, with significant numbers of additional claims of police murders no verified.
    Not many folk die from Malaria in the UK; when they get ill at all the NHS is still a worthy institution. As one widow will testify, the health system in Nigeria is crp and the DW school gave sod all support when two of their staff died (in separate instances)
    Nigeria is possibly the worst place to go to teach (and before folk say what about Afgahnistan, et al, there's no teaching jobs there so it doesn't count!)

7. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Not if he was raised outside Nigeria. In such a situation he would be as useful as the rest of us.
    Slight understatement there.
    A bit disingenuous there. It is not exactly comparing like with like is it?
    Why? Will it stop you from getting mugged? About a decade ago, one of my students came into class quite visibly upset. He was a Nigerian whose uncle was a university professor in Lagos. Someone had gone up to him, put a gun to his head and pulled the trigger. This was a completely random act which was just part and parcel of life in Lagos at the time. Have things improved since then?
    They can promise what they like. The question is, will they deliver?
    Amen to that!

8. Fireguard made of chocolate.
    Colleagues of mine were at a school in Nigeria - they got out pretty sharpish.
    I would look elsewhere.
    I haven't tried it but there must be other places on the internet to research ex-pat life in Nigeria
    etc.

9. Indeed you do. However, being careful will not protect you.