1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in New Zealand

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by debbieglead, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Skeire

Skeire New commenter

Does anybody know if Novopay accepts salary slips to prove work experience?
    What other ways are acceptable to prove experience?

2. daisy1603

daisy1603 Occasional commenter

If you can’t get a statement of service then you can do a statutory declaration and need to provide evidence. See below.

The Ministry of Education will only accept Statutory Declarations if they are accompanied by corroborating evidence. This evidence may take the form of:

• Pay slips
    • Letters of resignation
    • Offers of appointment
    • Salary increase notifications
    • Contracts
    • Tax Forms (as long as they clearly state the employer)
    • Letters from colleagues
    • References
    • Super scheme contribution notification
    • Any other appropriate documentation

3. Mlockwood81

Mlockwood81 New commenter

Just an update on mine progress, may repeat some previous statements mind!

Applied for Visa over Xmas, partner had a job offer from an accredited employer, visas came back within 2 weeks. Her and my son went out end of February, I finished off the term at my UK school till Easter.

I had a couple of months off :) then had a fixed term off till the end of the year from a local secondary school, so put my application in to the Education Council at the end of June. I got a temporary clearance to teach and my actual clearance just came through this week. Took about 10 weeks even though everything was submitted correctly (had obtained the police and child protection cert before applying) and had no requests for further information.

If you need to teach as soon as you get out here, I would highly recommend starting it ASAP while you're in the UK.

Just need to sort out my salary now

4. daisy1603

Thanks for the update @Mlockwood81

Can I ask, did you apply direct to schools or did you go through an agency?
    How long was your application time to getting out there to work? People are telling me it could take 18 months but others are saying I could be out there by January.

5. mrswallow

mrswallow Occasional commenter

It took me about twelve months from deciding to go to actually getting the visa in my passport. Some of this was bureaucracy, especially me not having all the requisite bits of paper. University transcript for example, degree certificate as well. That and having to post stuff to NZ and wait for it to be processed.

I'd imagine if you are more organised and less chaotic than me, you'd find it a quicker process. Also, I think they have streamlined the process now- for some degrees, not having to get your qualifications assessed by the NZQA will take two months or so off. I came out under the old 'Skilled Migrant' category, which involved having to get a certain number of points, I also had to join the NZ Teachers Council in order to get the visa. I went straight for Permanent Resident. This may also take longer than other visas. Anecdotally, I'd allow three months- as that seems to be the norm at the moment. Can be quicker, if you have a job to go to, and the school can help, or if you use an immigration agent.

There's no harm applying for jobs direct to the schools involved. I got my first job about a month before we moved out by applying directly, and that's how I've got every job since (currently on my 4th...)

As an aside- yes, there are teacher shortages and yes, there's a number of teachers leaving for foreign shores and chasing better money elsewhere... but, we survive with a mortgage and three kids on my HoD salary and I have a pretty good work/ life balance. We don't have a flash lifestyle by some standards, but we're pretty happy. Some schools offer housing as part of the job. Not free, but subsidised.

6. Mlockwood81

I got my visa on the back of partner. She had a job offer from an accredited employer, so my visa situation was different.

Before I came out I emailed directly some schools and went in for a chat with one of them when I arrived. They then offered me a fixed term position until the end of the year. The school then applied for a temporary "pass" for me to teach until my official teacher registration came through.

I'm a secondary and a-level Maths teacher with some HoD experience, so probably won't be a universal experience.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask.

7. daisy1603

Thank you @mrswallow and @Mlockwood81 its great to hear about the process from people who have done it.

Luckily my qualifications are exempt from NZQA assessment and all my paperwork has been sent off to the Teaching Council this week. All that’s left to do for now is find a job! I have to admit I am finding it frustrating letting an agent know which vacancies I’d like to apply for and trusting that they are sending it off rather than going direct but that’s just the control freak in me :)

I’d love to be out there for the start of the next school year and am lucky that I’d be able to go very last minute as I don’t have family/a house etc to think about.

8. Mlockwood81

9. mrswallow

mrswallow Occasional commenter

Do not underestimate how long it can take to sell a house. I got my visa in the post and put my house on the market. This was a week before the 2008 financial crisis/ house price crash. About eighteen months later, I finally sold it at a slight loss.

10. daisy1603

Another question about applying directly to schools, what do you put on the application forms when it asks for your teacher registration status/number and visa status? I can't help but feel that putting no/in progress for both that that will be a disadvantage.
    Or is it better just to send an email with CV to the email address that is attached to the advert and explain in the email my current status?

11. Mlockwood81

I just sent some speculative emails to the schools in the area I was moving too... Although I'm in Gisborne so there's only 4 secondaries!

daisy1603 likes this.