1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in New Zealand

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by debbieglead, Oct 4, 2016.

1. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Is it unhelpful and unnecessary to point out that property prices in New Zealand are absurdly high? And that lots of NZ teachers are going on strike because their salaries are so poor, MyOrchid?

It was the TES Moderators that decided to label me as a "lead commentator" and "Community helper". Neither of these titles was my idea.

No, T0nyGT, Bulgaria is not an oppressive state. For example, Internet and mobile phone access is not restricted. BG has to follow the EU rules on lots of things, otherwise they will not get any more EU cash. Yes, China has a lot more state control of just about everything, but it is an interesting place to live. We made some great Chinese friends and enjoyed our time in the Middle Kingdom.

2. MyOrchid

MyOrchid New commenter

I apologise for diverting the thread, so this is my only response to the above:

hippo/Simon - No, it is not unhelpful or unnecessary to point out that property prices are high in NZ, or that teachers are striking because of this. A quick Google search would reveal this information relatively quickly. However, to quote your comment above,
    "No reply from T0nyGT. Oh dear." This is neither helpful or necessary.

It may well have been the moderator's decision to label you as "lead commentator" and "community helper", but you obviously love it.

I'm sure that your heart is in the right place, but you do come across as somewhat pompous and smug in some of your posts, with constant references to your tax-free salary, blog and house in Bulgaria. You have obviously been happy to turn a blind eye to some of the less savoury aspects of living in some of your chosen locations - Bulgaria may not be an oppressive state but China most certainly is. This matters to some people.

Back on topic, I wish the OP every success if they manage to get to NZ. It is a great place to be and I am happy to share my own apocryphal experiences, which include a recent visit, if they will be helpful.

Orchid

ejclibrarian likes this.
  3. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Community helper is a position that we were offered and could turn down if we didn't want it. I accepted it hoping that I could be helpful to others and offer assistance when needed.

NZ has been on my radar as a place to work for a while. I wish the OP good luck! Let us know what happens.

4. Mlockwood81

Mlockwood81 New commenter

Just thought I'd attempt to bring this back on topic...

Update on my progress... Applied for Visas over Xmas (28/12), visas approved on Thursday (10/12)! Quick turn around due to my partner applying for a Talent (Accredited Employer) Work Visa and already having a job offer!

I'll be moving over at Easter but will be starting the process with NZQA shortly...

ejclibrarian likes this.
  5. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Wish you the best of luck. Keep us informed

6. Sherbear320

Sherbear320 New commenter

Good luck,

You should find teaching here so much easier than UK if you need any help advice am happy to help as working here for last 3 years

:)

7. the hippo

8. Mlockwood81

Mlockwood81 New commenter

Don't want to criticise people who contribute, but unsurprisingly, there's going to be a however here...

However, I've read a few topics on the forums regarding teaching in New Zealand and you seem to have a very negative view regarding teaching in NZ and a very rose tinted view of teaching in the Middle East.

I appreciate people have different views but being a teacher, I hope you appreciate, is about giving a balanced view. There are always positives and negatives about teaching in a particular county but this is entirely dependent on personal circumstances.

For us a family, New Zealand is very appealing. She is in the construction industry and we could very easily go and work in the Middle East earning "mega bucks" but having a young family this is not a location we considered appealing, either in the short or long term; my sister has taught in the Middle East for the last 12 years, so know of some the ups and downs of working there.

Although you have to jump through some hoops, like the 18 month article says, this process has been improved recently, which I will hopefully experience. I have no issue with any employer, or indeed country in this case, validating that you are who you say you are or that you had done x, y or indeed z.

Teaching, like life, is about making the best of situations. Nothing is ever perfect but it's what you make of it that counts.

Hopefully you don't take this as a critism but more of a suggestion to improve your pedagogy of posting opinions on forums :)

9. the hippo

Why no one wants to teach in New Zealand
    The ongoing dismissal of research-informed professional development demeans the teaching profession in NZ. But it doesn’t have to be like this, writes the University of Auckland's Stephen May

Let’s face it – teaching in New Zealand is a low status profession. This perhaps explains why there seem to be fewer and fewer people who want to become teachers. It also explains the looming staffing crisis in Auckland, with young teachers, in particular, leaving the city in droves because their pay and career prospects are not sufficient to afford to continue to live there.

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/@future-...1927/why-no-one-wants-to-teach-in-new-Zealand

10. freestylegirl

freestylegirl New commenter

Good luck Mlockwood81 and anyone else thinking of coming here.

I have lived and worked in Auckland for almost 8 years now (although soon to move to the Hawkes Bay) and have never had any regrets. The Hippo has never done either and seems to base all his comments on hearsay and reading the (sometimes biased) news. I'm sure no country is perfect but for me, NZ is pretty good - I love it that in winter I can go surfing in the morning and skiing in the same afternoon.

My work life balance is so much better, teaching is easier, the students are much nicer and although the pay could indeed be better, my non-teaching partner now earns more than he did in London. Yes house prices are expensive in Auckland but we managed to buy a house here that cost less than tiny flats in grotty bits of London; other parts of NZ are very affordable.

kevinweav likes this.
  11. Sherbear320

Freestylegirl you will love it down here in the bay. I enjoyed my time though short in Auck, but it is paradise down here.

Good luck

freestylegirl likes this.
  12. glenister_kj

glenister_kj New commenter

Dear all,

I’m looking for some advice. I’ve been offered two teaching jobs in Auckland in the past week and have to give a decision by Tuesday.

I’ve been trying to figure out the salary I’d be on as that would be a deciding factor as to whether I’d make the move or not. The school(s) told me that once I accept a job, Novopay would assess my salary.

I’m worried that if I accept and Novopay give me a salary which is so low I’d have to reject the offer and it’s not fair on the school?

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

P.s. Before you comment “The HIPPO” I do not want to live in random countries such as Bulgaria where you get a free house, it’s not helpful”

13. the hippo

14. MyOrchid

MyOrchid New commenter

You don't say how much expeience you have so it's hard to assess your potential pay...

15. glenister_kj

glenister_kj New commenter

Apologies,

2 years experience teaching senior chemistry
    Currently head of KS4 and head of child protection.

Thanks

16. MyOrchid

MyOrchid New commenter

17. MyOrchid

MyOrchid New commenter

This might help:

https://www.ppta.org.nz/advice-and-issues/your-pay/

The short answer is that it won't be a lot. Are they state schools? Where in Auckland? How much money do you have to buy/rent a house? Auckland is expensive, teacher salaries are poor, hence the Hippo's posts - sad, but true.

18. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I can only offer second hand advice. I currently work with 10 kiwis. 6 of them left tge promised land in the last 4 years. They all have similar stories about the state of education as UK teachers, and similar stories about teachers not being able to get by and trying to live in the capital. Very similar to trying to teach in London. You arent going to be on the breadline, but you arent going to have much dispossible income.

My sister and brother in law lived just outside Auckland (north harbour), it was gorgeous, but i know they struggled. They now live in Taranaki and brother in law is head of department, and my sister works in another school. They have three kids so take that into consideration, but they have little money left at the end of the month. They have not been able to afford to leave NZ in 6 years.

19. Sherbear320

Your qualms are also important with 3 years teaching experience a Masters and employment related to the field I was teaching I started at the top of the scale 73k which was a huge jump from what I was on 8n the UK when I left.

If you are single you can flat which will save you loads of money.

Pm me there are one or two school you really don’t wanna work for in Auck

20. Sherbear320

Also with your subject they may be able to give you management units if you take on responsibility.

You need enough to tide you over for 6 weeks as until assessment comes through you would be at the bottom of the scale.