1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in New Zealand

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by MissJeanes, Apr 17, 2012.

1. I'm thinking seriously about making a move to teaching in New Zealand or Australia and am wondering if anyone with past experience can help.
    I have 3 years UK primary teaching experience and qualified in the UK with a BA in History and later a PGCE. I have read on TES that the PGCE is not recognised in the same way as a BA in education. I know that whether I decide to head to NZ or AU I need to get my qualifications approved, but at a cost of around $700 I was wondering if anyone could shed light on the status of the PGCE before i commit to the huge fee... ?

I would really apreciate any advice. Many thanks MJ

2. I'm thinking seriously about making a move to teaching in New Zealand or Australia and am wondering if anyone with past experience can help.
    I have 3 years UK primary teaching experience and qualified in the UK with a BA in History and later a PGCE. I have read on TES that the PGCE is not recognised in the same way as a BA in education. I know that whether I decide to head to NZ or AU I need to get my qualifications approved, but at a cost of around $700 I was wondering if anyone could shed light on the status of the PGCE before i commit to the huge fee... ?

I would really apreciate any advice. Many thanks MJ

3. Your qualifications are more analagous to NZ secondary quals than primary ones. I'm not sure that you'd get a primary job with those, though I couldn't say for certain.
    In general, in NZ a primary-qualified teacher can teach secondary, but a secondary-qualified teacher cannot teach primary.
    Secondary in NZ starts at Y9. Your best bet would be at a private or semi-private high school that teaches the Cambridge curriculum.

4. Hi, I am UK trained with a BA in Early Childhood Education and have a PGCE in Primary. I got my qualifications assessed by the NZQA (New Zealand) who said I was able to teach primary. I think from memory they recognised the PGCE because they have something similar here whereas when I came (3 years ago) they didn't have a 3 year BA in Early Childhood so they couldn't match it.

I taught in the UK for 18 months before moving here and and was therefore classed as a beginning teacher here and was put on the beginning teacher programme which was actually really useful.

I haven't taught in Australia but friends have. Apparently in some states in can be quite tricky to get a job. A friend who has worked there said that the state she was in you get 'placed' into a school rather you choosing or applying. This is second hand information though. I do know that the pay is very good in Australia.
    I really enjoy teaching here. I have half the amount of children (I'm in a normal state school) because of this I really feel that I'm am able to do the best I can for each individual child.
    Hope that helps

5. That's really helpful - thank you so much for your feed back. Did you go anywhere for advice before getting your qualifications assessed by NZQA? I'm worried about spending out all that money and then find my qualification isnt recognised... there must be some guidance or something?

Glad that you are having such an amazing time, i am very envious!

6. Thank you so much for your feedback, i really appreciate your comments.
    My PGCE is to teach 5-11 year olds so I am not sure that i would be qualified to teach secondary(or that i would want to!) Do you know if there are guidelines that i could look at before sending my qualifications to NZQA to be assessed? I'm reluctant to spend that amount of money without really knowing the terms of assessment....

7. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Miss Jeanes,
    If I read your posts correctly, you have a BA in History and a Primary PGCE (ie.5-11 years) (in New Zealand, secondary school starts in the equivalent of UK Year 9). So you could teach Primary or 'Intermediate' students in NZ.
    In NZ, if you have a Primary teaching qualification, you can teach secondary (but presumably have to have some expertise in a subject area - which your History degree would fulfil).
    But, if you have a Secondary teaching qualification (a one-year Diploma completed after a Bachelor's degree), then you can only teach secondary.
    You might want to contact the NZ Teacher's Council http://www.teacherscouncil.govt.nz/ They have information for Overseas Teachers and could probably answer the types of questions that you have.