1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in New Zealand. Watch out!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by awells75, Oct 8, 2020.

1. awells75

awells75 New commenter

New Zealand is stunning! It is the picturesque and laid back country that people say it is. Your work life balance can be much better than the UK or else where. I have been teaching secondary school maths for 6 weeks now and have had some ups and downs. Firstly the education system (NCEA) is absurd. To pass an exam you need to get 1 question out of 12 to pass and if you don't pass, you get the exam given back to you, with a circle around the error and given a second go at it. The pupils know this and therefore a large majority of pupils (who are really nice) are not incentivised at all to work hard.
    BUT the main issue I have faced is with the pay. I am currently being paid 50% of my salary because the company used by the government to pay all teachers does not understand how QTS and the NQT work. This means until it has been assessed and evidence can be found I will continue to paid at 50% and yes all the stories you hear about huge costs of living are true ( I am in Auckland though). My degree from Cardiff is also not recognised but if I graduated post 2008 it would be. This therefore also needs to be assessed by the NZQA. Unfortunately I am not alone in this. Nearly every overseas teacher has faced this issue.
    This therefore means that with a 50% salary I have to pay $1500 to get my qualifications recognised even though I have been teaching for 16 years.
    Therefore to come and teach in this beautiful country; with visas, licences, registration fees, medicals, certifications, and more it has now cost me over $6000 (nz). Then start adding on your cost to get here.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/dont-...leagues-back-home/WXLWNJUHIZV4CACTQV2B52HCYQ/

2. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Migrating or teaching in countries in NZ, US, even the UK and Oz is not the same as landing a job in the international circuit.

In NZ, NQT and QTS means squat. Bachelor of Ed (whatever specialty) and a PGCE is what counts.

Yes, you are unqualified until your entire qualifications are assessed. Same as when an antipodean teacher with a 4-year Bachelor of Ed starts teaching in the UK. The reasons as to why they do that is because of the dodgy "teaching qualifications" the UK continues to roll out such as the 3-year degree "with QTS" and the famous IPGCE.

Your experience doesn't count because experience does not make you qualified. Documentation matters.... again, NZ should not be treated the same as the international circuit. Until your qualifications are proven, at your own cost, you are officially an unqualified staff. Same goes for the antipodean, they can't move or enter a pay scale until all qualifications are approved by NARIC + one other.

Those who have thoroughly done their checks and not rely on agencies would have known this.

There are plenty of successful stories.

3. awells75

awells75 New commenter

Dear sir.
    You might want to check your facts.
    QTS is recognised and this is awarded post PGCE. So if they care about a PGCE they care about QTS. The teaching council actively seek out UK trained teachers and their qualifications are exempt from NZQA qualifications assessment because of this.
    None the less it still doesn't mean it is cheap move no matter how short of teachers NZ is, especially maths teachers. As like everywhere else I must add.

4. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

QTS with a PGCE is recognized because of the PGCE. But never QTS without a PGCE.

It's unfortunate that there are plenty of universities in the UK who woodwink unsuspecting students. Marketed as "internationally recognized".

It wasn't that long ago an OP from another thread who was looking to move to NZ found this out. Their "qualifications" were a 3-year degree with QTS... 3 years that included QTS but without a PGCE (should have been their first clue tbh). Needless to say, that certain OP found out the hard way that the "internationally recognized" phrase should have come with an *.

5. 4019775

4019775 Occasional commenter

I registered with the Queensland college of teachers in 2012. It was all basically done and rushed through by my my employer in no more than a few weeks. Verifying my years experience for salary was just as easy. Cost next to nothing and could not have been easier. Not NZ but I am shortage subject and no qualifications from England where standards can, and are known to be, rock bottom

6. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

The problem with QTS is that, unlike other countries (eg Scotland) it's not linked to the ability to teach a particular subject - so for example, someone with QTS and a History degree could (theoretically) teach Maths.

7. Mlockwood81

Mlockwood81 New commenter

As previously stated above, they are interested in the PGCE and the Post Graduate Certificate of Education version and not the Professional Graduate Certificate of Education too.

It's unfortunate that you didn't check all the requirements for your pay assessment by NovoPay but having just done it myself, I thought the process was fairly straight forward... They also processed my back pay within 2 weeks too!

Totally agree on the level of knowledge needed to pass the internals, although the externals are slightly more difficult but the mark scheme is indeed "wierd".

8. Mlockwood81

I'm a senior maths teacher too btw!

9. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I don't get the difference between these. When I did my PGCE it was written as a ProfGCE. It was exactly the same in content as other courses. Now, when I check my quals it says regular PGCE. Strange

10. Mlockwood81

The Post Grad is at a higher level, as it contains units at a Master level (and so many credits), the Prof Grad does not.