1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in New York

Discussion in 'Primary' started by louisekwa, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Hello

I am currently completing my NQT year in a school in London and am interested to move to New York to teach in the near future. I have a degree in Primary Eduction (BA Hons, 4year with QTS) from a British university. However, their application process is not familiar to me! I was wondering if anyone had any experience of teaching in NY or had contacts over there so that I could investigate further. I have used the teachNY website and have made enquiries. Also, I have looked at Teach for America and Teach for All however they seem quite specific and not always open to overseas applicants. Does anyone know any more about these?

The other concern is how to go about getting a green card. Do I need one before or after applying for jobs? Has anyone done this!?

Any information or guidance would be great.

Thank you very much

Louise

2. Hello

I am currently completing my NQT year in a school in London and am interested to move to New York to teach in the near future. I have a degree in Primary Eduction (BA Hons, 4year with QTS) from a British university. However, their application process is not familiar to me! I was wondering if anyone had any experience of teaching in NY or had contacts over there so that I could investigate further. I have used the teachNY website and have made enquiries. Also, I have looked at Teach for America and Teach for All however they seem quite specific and not always open to overseas applicants. Does anyone know any more about these?

The other concern is how to go about getting a green card. Do I need one before or after applying for jobs? Has anyone done this!?

Any information or guidance would be great.

Thank you very much

Louise

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

International Applicants
    Certified teachers in countries and jurisdictions other than the United States may qualify for employment based on their credentials from their country of origin. In general, international teachers must meet three requirements to be considered eligible for employment in New York City:
    You must have completed an approved program of teacher preparation.
    You must have the equivalent of a bachelor's degree, a minimum grade point average of 2.5 or above, a valid teaching certificate, and teaching experience in the same subject and grade level.
    You must meet the necessary residency requirements for working within the United States.
    The New York State Education Department has detailed eligibility requirements if you have a teaching certificate from one of these countries:
    Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, and Slovakia
    Canada
    Philippines
    Spain
    United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales)
    West Indies and Guyana

In order to work as a teacher in New York City, you must be a United States citizen or permanent resident. At this time, the New York City Department of Education is unable to sponsor international teachers who have not already met federal regulations to work in the United States.
    Please note that teachers with OPT visas must conduct an independent job search outside the existing application process in order to find a school that is willing to pay their future sponsorship costs.

4. Thank you very much for the reply. I have emailed the teachNYC website and waiting a reply back. I am unsure if they will accept my applications for jobs as I do not have a green card.

Thanks

5. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

A friend of mine is married to an American and it still took him 1 year to get a green card - so I wish you luck! There are private "British" schools in the US, so that may be an easier place to start. No idea what they are like, but they do advertise in TES jobs from time to time.