1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teaching in New York or Australia

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by littlemissraw, Sep 7, 2011.

  1. littlemissraw

    littlemissraw Occasional commenter

    We're in the process of moving to Aus at the moment. My OH has work and I'll be on his sponsorship visa as his long term partner. Secondary teaching is on the SOL (Shortage Occupation List) as is early years but Primary isn't so a joint visa through your work would be the best bet as I doubt she would get a visa in her own right although there seem to be jobs out there. What region? I think you do need to 'proove' your relationship though as we're having to take our council tax bills from the past few years...
    No ideas on USA though I'm afraid. Good Luck! x
  2. With regards to the teacher visa to Australia - Primary Teachers can get a visa (permenant residency), but it would have to be State Sponsored, South Australia are currently sponsoring teachers, and the obligation to live in SA is only a moral, not a legal one currently, so you could then go and live and teach anywhere in Australia. The State Sponsored visa is currently being processed a lot faster as well as the Independant general visa (175 visa), 2/3 months vs 12-18 at the moment.
    (I'm only posting this incase someone else is reading for info for their situation - in the OPs case, as long as you have lived together for 12 months your OH can probably (depending on the exact visa) be included on your visa as a de facto spouse, which would be easier, however (again depending on exactly what visa your company plan on sending you over on) it might have some restrictions on for her with regards to work (although off the top off my head I can only think that a student visa would restrict her, but I'm not 100% familar with business sponsored visas, there is quite a range really).)

  3. littlemissraw

    littlemissraw Occasional commenter

    I've registered with an agency (for independant schools) and am also in the process of registering with the state directly too. They have a facebook page that gives links to the new vacancies (on a blog) each week.
    Great to hear she could get her own visa in South Aus though if you do look at that region...
    Good luck with everything x

  4. Be warned, I've had a nightmare registering with the NSW Department of Education as a Primary School teacher. They basically told me that my qualifications (I did a PGCE) didn't fulfill their criteria and told me that I had to go back to University.
    I'm not prepared to do that so have since registered with the Catholic Schools Board and am just starting to get some supply work. It has taken 6 months though!
    Anyone had a similar experience in Sydney?
  5. oh that sounds like a real pain. she has a BA in childhood studies and then a PGCE. The NSW website criteria state you need the following for accreditation, so I wonder if the BA or PGCE will qualify for the 1st or 3rd:
    after completing one of the following qualifications at a recognised higher education institution*: an undergraduate degree, and a graduate entry teacher education program (such as a master of teaching, graduate diploma in education); or
    an undergraduate double degree program (such as a bachelor of commerce/bachelor of teaching); or
    an integrated undergraduate program (such as a bachelor of education degree) which includes both subject content studies and teacher education.
    Undergraduate subject content studies are required in addition to a teaching qualification. For primary teaching this means you need to have a range of studies across curriculum areas in your undergraduate degree.
    For accreditation as a primary teacher your degree should contain:
    one full academic year of study (2 units) in four of the following key learning areas; OR
    two full academic years of study (4 units) in one key learning area AND one full academic year of study (2 units) in two other key learning areas listed below.
    Subjects are...English, Mathematics, Science and technology, Human society and its environment, Creative and practical arts, Physical development, health and physical education (more info here - http://www.nswteachers.nsw.edu.au/downloaddocument.ashx?DocumentID=493)
    I may just give them a call...

  6. littlemissraw

    littlemissraw Occasional commenter

    Have you got a link for them please? Will it be the same for secondary? Finding it hard to register in the UK as they want all original documents for their CRB equivilent but not willing to post my qualifications etc to Aus. How did you show yours?I've sent them copies and told them I can pop in with originals when we land next month.
    Thanks for all the help guys! x


Share This Page