1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Moscow

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by RBRudge, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Hi!
    I have recieved two job positions for two different schools in Moscow. This is my first time teaching overseas. I would be grateful if anyone could give me some information about Moscow and the living style and what it is like working over there?
    Thank you
    RBRudge

2. Its an acquired taste really. Being in a good school is really important, because life in Moscow is insanely expensive and therefore without a good package it can be incredibly hard to live there. There is the weather that can bring you down after a while. People don't speak any English whatsoever so blending with the locals can be very hard. Some things are cheap like the opera, but there is only so many fat ladies you can hear warbling before it gets a tad repetitive. Other than that there isn't much to do. It's not exactly safe although with the usual precautions you should be fine. Most people do their two years and leave. Saying that, some people do love it.

3. I've PMed you.

4. Hi thanks for the info.
    Currently looking at 2 international schools that market themselves as English or British. Any info on these?
    Any idea where I could find some good info on costs of living as they provide an accommodation allowance not accommodation provided which can be a minefield. They also say the salary is taxed, any idea at what rate? The base salary quoted looks good until you find out that it is to be taxed and you have to pay for accommodation, utilities as well as all the normal things.
    How much would you say you need to live comfortably and save a bit. I am not extravagant but I dont want to live like a monk either.
    Thanks

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Whereabouts do you live for 31,000 less the tax?