1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching in Milan

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mumiron, Jan 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. mumiron

mumiron New commenter

I am seriously thinking of working in Milan. Currently teaching in the UK. Have done stints in other European cities. Does anyone have experience or advice about international schools and working conditions in Milan? Feels like a leap of faith as there is so little to go by. Language isn't a problem. I'm worried about how professional the schools are and surviving on vino, sun and probably a minuscule salary in an expensive city. I have scoured previous posts on Milan. Would really appreciate any up-to-date advice.

2. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

3. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

As far as I am aware and since backed up by other teachers I have met this information is still up to date.

4. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Not so sure about the sun and vino. The winter in Milan is cold and miserable. This is an expensive city. I did a short period of supply in one of the big IB schools north of the center. I was put in a very difficult position in an awful department and didn't enjoy my time there at all. No resources, no support, badly behaved students. I can only comment on that particular school but standards were very very low.

5. mumiron

mumiron New commenter

Thank you for link and replies. Brian, was your experience within the last 2 years? I believe the school now belongs to a consortium and has changed?

6. 24hours

24hours New commenter

We’re based further down in Italy. Salary’s for your bog standard teacher are quite low across the country with Milan being particularly expensive.

Having said that, the opportunities that teaching abroad offer do not always need to mean financial gain. If moving to Milan is something you wish to do then do it.

Milan is one of the nicer cities where the bins get taken on a slightly more regular basis than other areas.

7. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Hi it was about 2 years ago. The school was part of a big group. I had a bad experience but I think those in different departments teaching mostly diploma level enjoyed it more. That being said I really couldn't recommend the school in anyway.