1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Malaysia

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by 012jazmine, Apr 4, 2017.

1. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

"13 hour days and 6 day weeks exist" - wow! don't tell the dumbell he'll have a heart attack! That's definitely not allowed in international education!

Alice K likes this.
  2. cowelly77

cowelly77 New commenter

Is that in a leadership role or as a teacher? We are also looking into KL, however are also currently in Abu Dhabi where the salaries are relatively high. Thanks!

3. missbrody

missbrody New commenter

That salary is for a teacher, but they do demand very long hours on return!

4. missbrody

missbrody New commenter

That's what I thought myself, but private international schools make up their own rules. That is why I suggest anyone looking for an international role does very thorough research on the schools they apply to.

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

damn right i would !!!!! who are these people that accept these jobs ???? they must be either mental or desperate !!!!

6. binza87

binza87 New commenter

...or ill-informed before they go!:eek:

dunnocks likes this.
  7. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer New commenter

You just about summed up AD there!! A few more malls and a few more hotels. Snore.....

ruthradwan5 and Alice K like this.
  8. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

pink reindeer another reincarnation, how does he keep it up, why is he allowed to keep it up, why is he doing it? Does he think people listen to his advice? Not that I really care just curious is all!

9. pink_reindeer

I can't answer any of your questions, other than to hazard a guess that he is a bored individual. Someone once told me only boring people get bored....

10. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

GASP.
    That's something I say. Was it me, I wonder?

11. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

AD isn't all that bad. I agree that's its a marmite type of place, and rapidly losing it's appeal for me, but then again, isn't everywhere in the world like this?

12. pink_reindeer

I guess.
    And it may be that I'm just having a bad experience so I can see the bad more clearly than the good. I try not to be so negative, but it can be hard. I enjoy the weekends, but weekdays pretty much suck! I live in a crappy area and it takes a bit of a taxi ride to get near any sort of fun action. Hard to juggle that as well as doing school work.

13. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

This roseate reindeer has lasted more than a week! Impressive staying power.

14. pink_reindeer

Huh??

15. Celltastic

Celltastic New commenter

Hi, I am also considering a relocation to Malaysia. Although my deal breaker is if I can bring my 2 indoor cats with me... do you know of many people who transported pets with them?

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  16. chem1984

chem1984 New commenter

Hi, I'm a trainee teacher interested in doing my NQT abroad. What's your opinion about doing this? I've read the relevent thread. Thanks

17. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

@Celltastic yes it is possible to take your cats to Malaysia but it will be expensive and you have to meet all sorts of vet criteria. A google will give you more info.

18. SineField

SineField New commenter

Any thoughts/experience on schooling in Penang ??

19. missbrody

missbrody New commenter

Neither mental nor desperate,thank you! Just told a whole pack of lies about the class sizes, how well resourced the department is, timetable content, need I say anymore?
    As an experienced IB and A level teacher of a shortage subject I am not desparate, in fact my problem now is deciding which of the hundreds of jobs advertised currently to apply for!

20. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Occasional commenter Forum guide

Poor you missbrody. Nothing like being bedazzled by promises only to find they don't deliver anything at all.

missbrody likes this.