1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Malaysia

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by 012jazmine, Apr 4, 2017.

1. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

2. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

15k gross rock bottom for a youngish single just wants to have fun type. 20k gross if you want to save money.

With 2 kids and a non working partner 25k.

Best schools pay 20k plus. Often kids are fantastic in Malaysia especially Malaysians. Kids are smart funny but super respectful to teachers with very high levels of English combined with no compromise attitude towards study. Thats the best bit!

rednelly84, grdwdgrrrl, mermy and 2 others like this.
  3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Respect to Nemo, and disagreement. Teachers are living happy lives and doing some saving on 10,000 monthly. Obviously everyone has their own yardstick, but it is possible to do well with a lot less than 20.

grdwdgrrrl, Charlyrose and She_Skates like this.
  4. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl New commenter

I completely agree. As a family of 5 with one working spouse who is making about that, we just make it and our tiny savings is really just an emergency fund.

5. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

Yep, I'm on 15.5k ish and saving lots so far as well as having lots of meals out, weekend trips to local areas and a monthly trip abroad.

6. gulfgolf

Well done!

7. ecoartist

ecoartist New commenter

Hi, I am trying find out the differences between teaching in Dubai and Malaysia, it would great if you can help me.

Many thanks

8. WrongEyedJesus

WrongEyedJesus New commenter

I have read through this thread a couple of times. Considering an offered position in KL. Anybody in KL willing to PM me and discuss what the cost of living is like compared to the amount I have been offered? Many thanks in advance.

9. gulfgolf

Try numbeo. You can compare your current city to KL across all sorts of areas.

10. WrongEyedJesus

WrongEyedJesus New commenter

Thanks for the reply. That isn't what I meant. I know how my current salary compares with the new one. I was more interested in how the RM figure relates to the cost of living in KL for my family and I....

11. 576

576 Occasional commenter

Numbeo is the site for you.

12. Charlyrainbow23

Charlyrainbow23 New commenter

I am in KL with my family at the moment. You can PM me and I can try to help.

13. JKaramath

JKaramath New commenter

Hello all, great thread, enjoying the discussion. I'm just staring looking and am just wondering if there any pitfalls to looking on TES for international jobs, or is it really that any posted would be reliable? Also, is there anywhere else one might look? It's for a physics position. It's sad to have to leave but the thought of a massive pay cut, teach more hours and students with almost zero work ethic is driving me out of the UK I think... :'(. Thanks in advance...

14. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Sign up to one of the recruitment agencies. You’ll get snapped up teaching physics. Also, just because a school posts an ad on TES does not guarantee it’s a good place to work.