1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Malaysia

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by 012jazmine, Apr 4, 2017.

1. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Some are leaving Malaysia as the currency has devalued significantly. You have to spend more of your salary on daily expenses, and even if you manage to send the same amount home each month, it's worth less than before. Most people's yearly raises haven't resulted in being able to buy or save more, it just got dissolved by the devaluation.

grdwdgrrrl and 11judyc like this.
  2. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

Malaysia especially KL is Asia lite. English is spoken everywhere (especially KL) and it is a civilised country that drives on left ;) so easy for Brits - a car is essential but expensive.

Good as a travel hub, nightlife is poor compared to Bangkok, Singapore and Jakarta but there is enough to keep expats happy.

Food is great but bad for your wasteline. It is hot and humid but I stopped noticing after 6 months.

The economy has suffered as oil tanked and the PM and cronies are stealing billions of USD from investment funds etc. Politically stable but it might not be in ten years but Malaysians are like Brits. Will complain but do nothing.

Overall if salary is over 15k RM as a single take it. Otherwise dont unless you really want Malaysia.

grdwdgrrrl and 11judyc like this.
  3. Charlyrose

Charlyrose New commenter

15RM before or after tax and are you including housing allowance, medical insurance, flights in that figure?

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

Unless the thread is about western europe, you can assume that flights, medical, and accomodation are included. As this is commonplace, and a bare minimum of packages in my opinion for international schools.

11judyc likes this.
  5. Charlyrose

Charlyrose New commenter

Of course. I was asking specific question to nemo.

6. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

My school provides an accommodation allowance, do you count that?

@Charlyrose - 15k before tax. My salary includes my housing allowance. Flights, insurance etc are extra on top of that.

7. dumbbells66

In my opinion the bare minimum you should be getting is:
    1.Salary
    2. Return flights for you and all your dependants
    3.Medical insurance for you and all your dependants
    4.Accommodation provided or allowence that covers the cost.
    5. Free places for at least 2 children.

If you are getting anything less, then let me know where you are so i can cross that off my list as you are getting a terrible deal in my opinion.:)

11judyc and Charlyrose like this.
  8. Charlyrose

Charlyrose New commenter

1. Salary - 15 RM gross? Plus your list?

9. dumbbells66

Whats that in USD?

10. Charlyrose

Charlyrose New commenter

15 000 RM Gross - 3455 USD

11. Charlyrose

Charlyrose New commenter

Plus the EPF

12. dumbbells66

Personally i would want that net, but if you are happy with it then go for it

Charlyrose likes this.
  13. devils

devils Occasional commenter

I'm very into this thread....

Malaysia is creeping to the top of my hit list.

The way I see it its all about getting the balance between the possibility to save some decent money AND live in a country that has things going on + nice people... etc

I know somewhere like Qatar would have more savings potential but then from what I've heard and read, there's very little going on, you live in a bubble and are looked at as very much a 2nd class citizen by the locals.

Malaysia could have that balance aspect...... anyone that could drop me a PM with any useful inside gossip I'd be much obliged!!

Alice K, hannahgarside and Charlyrose like this.
  14. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl New commenter

Gulfgolf and Nemo are right on about food and currency problems.
    Also, not all salaries, housing allowance, and medical insurance are created the same. We have terrible insurance, flights only beginning and end of contract, no housing allowance or if it's included then our salary is really bad. Plus we pay 5% of school fees for our kids. It's a totally terrible package.
    At least there ARE worse packages but they tend to be newer schools or groups of schools with less than stellar reputations and majority eal students. Our school is supposed to have a long history and excellent rep. Ugh!

15. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

I think that when someone is considering a post they of course need to look at the package on offer, but they should also consider what they are offering the school... A teacher at the start of their career may simply not be worth as much as a more experienced teacher to that particular school. Plus a teacher moving abroad for the first time will have very different expectations to someone who has been on the circuit for several years, who has previous experience to compare it to.

Whilst it is helpful to hear personal opinions and experiences, the final decision to take any job comes down to individual preferences, priorities and lifestyle. If you have a family to consider, you may need to be more picky about safe neighbourhoods to live in. If you want to save money, you may need to live like a local. If you want to travel loads, it may be worth looking at the school holiday dates and visa restrictions.

Personally, I have found Kuala Lumpur to be a very versatile city to live in. The people tend to be welcoming, everyone speaks at least a little English, there are lots of transport options, and it is easy to jet away for the weekend if you wish. I have loved getting to know more about all the different cultures and religions that exist here, that I simply would never get to experience had I stayed where I was in the UK. The food is fantastic, whether you eat like a local (meals for RM2) or like an expat (meals for RM40+). The weather is consistently hot and humid, with regular rainstorms that pass through most afternoons. I love that I can go for a swim every evening followed by drinks at a rooftop bar at sunset.

On the other hand, as with every city in every country, there are downsides. Recycling doesn't seem to be a thing here. There is a lot of racism. Imported goods are very expensive. The traffic is appalling and it's impossible to get anywhere at rush hour.

[​IMG]

This is the view from my balcony - I love that I get to see this every day, even if I do miss the countryside at times.

I'm always happy to PM if anyone wants to ask anything.

16. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Good points above. KL is a great place to live with amazing lifestyle options. The economy is less than stellar at the moment, but for many people less bankable coin can be balanced by access to fun and food and friends and travel.
    Don't expect everyone to judge packages, schools and cities by your personal measuring stick.
    I reiterate. KL is awesome.

11judyc and Charlyrose like this.
  17. 012jazmine

012jazmine New commenter

I have'nt noticed that as this is my first time teaching overseas. Most of the expat teachers that do comment seem to be from 1st world countries. Coming from a 3rd world country I view malaysia and the ME differently.

18. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl New commenter

That is an interesting point of view. Please share.

19. 012jazmine

012jazmine New commenter

This is just my opinion and my view of teaching in a different country. I live in fear constantly. You lucky if your cellphone and belongings last in your classroom. You constantly watching your surroundings and your children. My reason to move was more for a quality of life rather then money. Malaysia seems to be a welcoming warm place to be in and people seem to be friendly. AD in my opinion has many teachers from my country and yes the money offered is good. But in my opinion after visiting AD I was dissapointed as one is treated inferior to Arab people. As a teacher I feel you should reach for your full potential and that can only happen if you are in a happy and comfortable environment.

Alice K, rosiecg and ejclibrarian like this.
  20. caroline2901

caroline2901 New commenter

Hi there

Would love to PM you but not sure how to do that. Any top tips? Thanks