1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Malaysia

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by 012jazmine, Apr 4, 2017.

1. 012jazmine

012jazmine New commenter

Hi everyone. I recently got accepted for a job in Malaysia at an International School. It is my first time teaching abroad and would like some advice. Don't know if I made the right choice between Malaysia and AD ADEC schools.

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

Oh i know which one i would pick in a heart beat....and it wouldnt be the one in AD.

Must say i have never worked in either country, and you would NEVER find me working in the ME anyway, but i would take Malaysia any day.

3. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

I've been out in Malaysia since December. If you want to ask any questions, go for it - on here or private message me.

4. rydel22

rydel22 New commenter

I've taught the last 5 years between Dubai and Malaysia (I'm currently in Malaysia now). I can give you an honest review of my experiences if you PM me.

ecoartist likes this.
  5. 012jazmine

012jazmine New commenter

I am new on this site. How do I private message you?

6. 012jazmine

012jazmine New commenter

I would really like to hear about your experiences.

7. rosiecg

I have sent you a message. Go to the top right corner where your picture is - click on it then click on 'conversations'.

8. amariB

amariB New commenter

Just found this thread doing a search for Malaysia- I am also moving there this August, mind if I message you too?

Charlyrose likes this.
  9. 012jazmine

012jazmine New commenter

Hi. Not at all. Please feel free to message me.

10. scalatinks1

scalatinks1 New commenter

I've taught in both places and think most people would agree when I say Malaysia wins hands down!

11. 012jazmine

012jazmine New commenter

Really? What makes you say that?

12. englishjohn1

englishjohn1 New commenter

Go to Malaysia. Definitely don't go to AD. WHat's in AD? The sheraton hotel, Harvester's pub, 49ers, The Meridian hotel, Al Wahda Mall and Marina Mall. That's it! OK if they pay you a wad of money go there. I have never worked in Malaysia but I have been there. It's nice there. I think salaries are maximum about 2 grand a month though.

012jazmine likes this.
  13. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

One more vote for Malaysia!

14. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl New commenter

In Malaysia, pm me if you want.

15. 012jazmine

012jazmine New commenter

Hi Grdwdgrrrl. I am trying to pm you but I don't have that option since I am new on this site.

16. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

Haven't you just started a thread wanting to know about your salary in Abu Dhabi as you've just been offered a job there???!

17. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

18. englishjohn1

No I haven't been offered a job in AD yet I have just been offered an interview next week. But I was just saying to the OP on this thread to go to Malaysia instead of AD unless they pay you a wad of money. Obviously 20k AED is much more than you would get in Malaysia except maybe one or two of the best schools there. Latvia is just a personal preference of mine. I didn't say I would never go to AD (again!), I just said Malaysia has a lot more going for it than AD.

19. rosiecg

In terms of pay in Malaysia - I'm in a second tier school, and get paid around 15,800 ringgit per month (2500ish pounds depending on exchange rates). A friend of mine has just been offered 19,000 ringgit per month to work at one of the top 2 schools in KL. The cost of living can be very low out here too so that helps. Plus if your school is in the EPF (pension fund) scheme then you put in 8% and they put in 12% of your salary each month - a great way to save quickly.

012jazmine likes this.
  20. englishjohn1

Before tax I take it so after tax it is 2 grand like I said,