1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Malaysia, KL or Penang

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by adamorient, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Hi, I know this is an old post but I thought I'd give it a try!

Basically I may have a job offer to teach iGCSE and Key Stage 3 History at R.E.A.L International School in Malaysia in the campus located in Shaha Alam.

The contract is 2 years and 5000RM per month with accommodation subsidised (1300RM)

I have no idea if this is a good salary, whether the school is accredited, an what the surrounding area is like.

Can anybody help me on this matter?

I would like to teach History abroad as an eventual career and I'm thinking this would be a good place to start.

Thanks!

2. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Well, that's £1050 a month, so I guess it depends on what you consider 'good'. In general that is not that good and your accommodation subsidy also looks a bit low too.

In general though if you think tis is a good career path or it offers opportunities to live where you desire, the money is fine and you can live comfortably in SE Asia.

3. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Hi Indian teachers get 7,000-7,500 RM per month so do unqualified "white" looking teachers from South Africa/Europe etc. So rubbish salary way below market rates.

Not a real international school either. Mostly local staff all paid peanuts. Banana anyone?

4. Hi, truth sayer , i am Tulika from India. even i have heard a lot about malaysia and its hospitality. At present i am working as the principal of a reputed CBSE school but now want to relocate abroad for a better experience and change. If you can help me in any way would be a great help. my email id is tulika.taank@yahoo.co.in. thanks in anticipation. bye tk cr