1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Malaysia, KL or Penang

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by adamorient, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Capt Emz that is

2. Yes I defiantly would, I did that once in the middle East, sent out 50 or so CV's and had 3 firm job offers within 2 weeks.

3. so am I - have heard lots of good things about this school.

4. I have a friend who started there this year. he is very happy - says it is a great plave to work . Good atmosphere and great kids.

5. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

goody goody goody - just hope we're not the same subjects! [​IMG]

6. Hey Kathy
    Good luck - let us know how you get one [​IMG]

7. To be honest Capt Emz ...i am not so sure about this with the negative comments around .
    The place I work in right now has a bad management and bullying tactics used ...so i guess I know what it is like!

lets see what happens anyway...will let you know .
    I would love to be away for January ,this position for Sept .
    Anyone got info on the boarding school outside KL?
    kathy

8. Truthsayer ..thanks for the info about GCSE if i get a position for Jan or June my daughter will be in first year GCSE. Did you find that your daughter adapted ok?
    Yes it was absolutely no problem, it actually helped her because now she was in an environment where the children actually want to learn.

9. Talking to yourself?

10. I know exactly what you are saying about the attitude to learning. I lived in S.Africa for 22 years and the attitude of the children was worlds apart from the UK. I have had people say to me here that it would be unfair to move my older daughter half way through GCSE but the way I see it the whole experience and the differant kind of pupil that she will be mixing with will more than make up for the change that has to happen. Since I teach in an FE college and teach 16+ I can see what is lying ahead and I do not like it.
    The position with Horticultural is not untill August but I feel that interviews are looming in the next week or so .
    I was wondering truthsayer if I could contact you via email just to ask you a few questions.
    Thanks for your info so far ...its great having someone to talk to who has moved with teenagers and can give me feedback .
    My kids were born in S.Africa ..Tony is S.African and we came back to the UK some 9 years ago to escape the crime there. It was ok when they were younger but not Ok now. Having said that I am very realisitic about the behavior of teenagers [enough experience there!!] but I know myself that the peer group is crucial and the environment is what makes the differance.
    I am keeping a close eye out for position in KL as I have alot of experience and of course have lived overseas before.
    Ready to get on that plane!!!!!.....just need somewhere to go!.lol

Kathy

11. No Robbie don't worry, if you look at post number 30 you will see that i am answering it, but for some reason the quote did not come out in the usual white box!!

12. Hi Kathy,
    I have sent my e mail address to you offline, that is you on my friends list isn't it? If you get a job in KL we will have to meet up my wife and I will take you pout for a meal.
    Dave

13. that should have been 'out for a meal' sorry!

14. mine's playing up as well

15. I think that maybe I copied and pasted instead of pressing quote...good job i am not in charge of nuclear weapons...whoops!

16. The comparisons are quite complicated but my understanding is as follows;
    Garden pays incrementally for the experience teachers - it was 10 yrs by I think they restructured and now 6yrs experience is top. Someone else needs to verify this as I was already on 10yrs so I paid no attention to the change.
    You get an expat living allowance and then management posts points.
    The top increment, top middle manager take home is just over 13K p.m, add 600RM a month if you have a masters and upto 500RM for wife/husband and kids.
    I believe AS is about the same before the management points. So top basic is about that. I may be wrong and you will need an AS person to verify. My info could be out dated. Us bitter growers think it averages out to about 2000RM a month. Quite a lot.
    However, for working couples we pay 2 X expat wages whereas the spinster pays 1 expat + 1 local - which means we pay slightly more. (I THINK). please understand that I'm trying to be helpful and that this is my understanding but I haven't heard recently about the opposition.
    We currently are the 2 best paid English curriculum schools in KL. However, the British International schools are opening up a secondary campus in 2013 (I think) and they are reputed to pay very well. A primary school started this year. There's a rumour of a Harrow school in the pipeline as well. There are other second tier schools in KL - they pay about 6-7K a month. One sounds Welsh, one is 3 initials long.
    My understanding that the international American school is the best payer in KL for secondary. Hope this is helpful roaming. The situation may have changed of late - you need a granny (think apples) to keep you up to date. The wage is liveable - beer is expensive here and drains the budget whilst food and accommodation are relatively cheap. Travel is really cheap and probably the biggest draw of living in Malaysia (and particularly KL over Penang). Airasia have opened up China, Australia, India, Sri lanka in the last 18 months and you have enough destinations to fill up years of holidays. Malaysia has a lot ot offer if you like beaches, diving and jungles. I do so I love it.

17. Oops
    All figures I gave are in Ringgit - at the moment the exchange is about 1quid = 6 RM

18. roamingteacher

Thanks KLingon - that's certainly a helpful (and detailed start). If anyone can add to it from the 'other side' I'd be grateful.
    Cheers [​IMG]

19. 'Despite protests from my partner'...
    Sh7t, I haven't told mine. Does that make me bad?

20. roamingteacher

Any info on horticultural salaries?