1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Malaysia, KL or Penang

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by adamorient, Sep 28, 2009.

1. adamorient

adamorient New commenter

Hello everyone. This is my first post on the TES website. I have been teaching in London for 4 years and am looking for a new challenge. Have been to Malaysia before and really loved the culture, people and potential lifestyle. Can anyone who works in Penang of Kuala Lumpur offer any advice on the following:
    What is the salary and how does it relate to cost of living?
    What are the opportunities for career development?

Also, does anyone work or know anyone who has worked at schools in Penang and KL that are currently advertising on the TES jobs section.
    Any help or advise would be great.
    Thanks

2. adamorient

adamorient New commenter

Hello everyone. This is my first post on the TES website. I have been teaching in London for 4 years and am looking for a new challenge. Have been to Malaysia before and really loved the culture, people and potential lifestyle. Can anyone who works in Penang of Kuala Lumpur offer any advice on the following:
    What is the salary and how does it relate to cost of living?
    What are the opportunities for career development?

Also, does anyone work or know anyone who has worked at schools in Penang and KL that are currently advertising on the TES jobs section.
    Any help or advise would be great.
    Thanks

3. uncertain39

uncertain39 New commenter

Penang is OK - a bit like the Blackpool of Malaysia
    That is a very unfair comment - Batu Ferringhi may indeed be considered by some to be the Blackpool of Malaysia, but Penang as an island is immensely varied - rainforests, nice beaches, gorgeous restaurants and the UNESCO listed George Town that is full of heritage - both Eurasian and "truly Asian" (as they say in this part of the world).
    For more info about living and working in Penang (at the school currently recruiting en-masse) send me a message.

4. My wife and I both teach in Malaysia, we are here with our two teenage daughters. Life is absolutely fantastic. Our jobs are great, salary is OK we manage to save and still have a good lifestyle.

5. "Penang is OK - a bit like the Blackpool of Malaysia"
    You have got to be joking.

6. Hi truthsayer
    I currently run the Health and Social care Diploma in an FE college in N.ireland.
    Most of my experience has been in senior Biology .
    I am 54 and returned to the Uk some 9 years ago .
    For the last 3 years I have been trying to get out .Last year I was offered three jobs but 2 were in not good schools and the other an Advisory position never came off at the last minute.The company did not get the contracts they thought they were going to get so all fell through at end of August!...yuk!
    My kids are 13 and 14 and that is why I was interested in reading your post .They were born in S.Africa and my husband is S.African.
    I do not like the lifestyle in the Uk and also do not like the way my kids are growing up .
    However things are now getting desperate as my daughter has entered her GCSE year and so time is running out for me to move.
    The thought of having to stay here for another 5 years depresses me .
    I know the International scene and that is where I want my kids to grow up ...of that I am definate.
    You have probably noticed that 2 schools are advertising and I feel i may be getting an interview for the hoticultural one.

I have alot of experience and even have a recent peer assesment report to show I am a good teacher. So any good school looking for a Biology teacher ...or science teacher or environmental teacher.
    I have identified Malaysia as a good place to go and my daughters would like it i know...so would I .....i have no worries there.I grew up in East Africa and then lived in S.Africa for 22 years.
    just feel at this stage that the more contacts I make the better . In a way i have a few regrets about turning down the other jobs but when your gut feel says no i guess you have to go with it
    Just putting feelers out for any positions that may be going

kathy.

7. Hi Kathy, totally relate to what you are saying, when we first moved abroad we were like you sick of the UK lifestyle, two teenage daughters. Apart from one really bad experience which we quickly got out of we have had a great time. The night before we left the UK, our oldest daughter, then 13, told us we were ruining her life, within the first week she was having a great time and has never looked back.
    I can certainly keep my ears open for vacancies for you, add me as a friend then I can tell you off line.

8. Hi Truthslayer and Kathy hope you dont mind if I try to add myself as your friends too - god that sounds a bit stalkerish doesnt it - I dont intend it to be - just the fact that Truthslayer your children went out the same age as my 13 year old and Kathy's kids are about the same age too. ta

9. Oh sorry haha didnt notice- bit like when I see vans that say shopfitters on the side, I always think they say shoplifters [​IMG]

10. OMG I really am going mad - cant stop laughing at the mix up, sorry!!! fits of giggles again stick me in the nuthouse PLEASE!!!!

11. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Occasional commenter Forum guide

Any more info on these places please?

12. Generally speaking schools in Malaysia are not among the highest payers, but neither are they the worst and when you compare it to the cost of living you are loads better off than being in the UK. Malaysian schools have a decent pension schemes as well. Add to this the fact that the kids you teach are eager to learn and well behaved, the society in general is friendly , the weather great, personally I think you can't lose.

13. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Occasional commenter Forum guide

Thanks Truthsayer for your advice now and before. Foney - not sure if you're trying to be helpful or...
    If you have any advice though, much appreciated. [​IMG]

14. Roaming. Advice would be to get some more advice. I can't help you but I am sure there are other far more qualified people to do so....

15. thanks for that truthsayer .........keeping an ear open for any position. It is good when another person can identify with the reasons for wanting to leave .
    The salary being lower does not worry me .If the quality of life is good and it is enough to live on and see around then that is fine. My husband grew up in S.Africa and i grew up 50% in Africa ...i feel they [my daughters] are really misssing out living in this celebrity culture where all the kids want to be pop stars.
    I notice a boarding English school looking for a biology teacher but it looks like it is not fully international and I would worry about the girls fitting in . might look a little deeper though
    As you are there I was wondering that if I did get a position for January would my daughter who is 14 be able to fit in .She has started her GCSE year and so not sure if she would have to catch up or how it could work.
    Thanks for all your information by the way and great that there are a few of us with teenagers on the same wavelength here!

16. Hello kathy
    I am sure your children will have no problem fitting in especially out here is South East Asia. At the school I am at there are a few western children but that does not seem to determine friendships, both of my daughters have a wide circle of friends who mainly Malaysian.
    As for your question about GCSE's, a little word of caution, make sure you check out exactly what subjects and boards the school offers. We had a very bad experience with one school, when we applied our oldest daaughter was half way througgh her GCSE's. We told the school the ten subjects she was doing and what boards and they said that was no problem they could meet her needs. when we got there, to our shock and horror we found they had lied to us and she was only able to study 4 of her subjects. Fortunatley we are at a very good school now and they are helping her to get the extra ones she needs, so just be a little bit careful on that one.
    All in all though if you get the right school, and we certainly have now, it is a very rewarding experince for both you and your children.

17. Hey Truthsayer - keep your IT eyes and ears open for me too!!!! [​IMG]

18. In fact would you recommend waiting for jobs to come on the TES site or should we just send CV's out!!!

19. I WANT AN OVERSEAS JOB, I WANT AN OVERSEAS JOB, I WANT AN OVERSEAS JOB - clicking the heals of red shoes together but nothing is happening!!!!! ohhhh i'll keep trying and noooooooo I haven't got the rose tinted glasses!!!! JOB JOB JOB!!!![​IMG]

20. Can you try and add me as a friend. I might have something to help you click your shoes together.