1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Madrid

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by qualifiedteacher, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Anyone thinking of doing this and want some advice?

2. Just avoid north of Madrid.....will email you.

3. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

Let;'s not exaggerate, qualifiedteacher. Almost all the international schools are in the north of Madrid and some of them are good...

4. SEK school is in the north and this is a very good school.

5. Hi,

I have been offered a job in an international school north west of madrid and saw your postings. I wondered if anyone could possibly email me some advice as to which schools are good (and not so good). Any advice really appreciated?

6. I've worked in Spain for 10 years in both Madrid & Andalucia. I was treated a lot better in Madrid (school named after the queen's sister) However, I've finally given up! It just gets worse... as much as I don't want too... back to the UK for me I'm afraid.

7. i think a good guide when judging international schools is to look at the curriculum they use. generally, schools that have british curriculums should be avoided. these schools claim to be international schools but then teach a national curriculum. they generally choose this curriculum(i think) because it is free to use, and possibly because they are unaware of current international education practice. either way, these are very good warning signs that the directors of the school will have little idea of how to run an effective school. perhaps the exception is the large british schools that tailor to british children living in other countries, but these are quite rare. you are best to work for ibo schools, or ipc schools. these curriculums are suitable for international students and use current teaching theory as their basis.

8. Jonk 77... I totally agree. I have worked with both and the IB/PYP works much better in an international school than the British curriculum.

9. Hello!
    I will be a NQT next year, secondary, modern languages (Spanish, French and German) I am Dutch...
    I will be in Madrid next year (because of circumstances) and would like to get a decent teaching job there. Can you please advice me how to go about in looking for a job and school. And would there be any possibility to do my NQT year in an international school in Spain?
    Please contact me at judithlindanagel@hotmail.com.

Muchas gracias!

10. I've just been offered a job at an international school North of Madrid which does iGCSE and A-level, and is a British school but think majority of the kids are Spanish.
    Been offered a fairly measly salary which although tax-free is a decrease from my current NQT salary. Is that normal in this kind of school in Madrid? Don't want to be shortchanged although I would love to accept it as I hear life in Madrid is fairly awesome.
    Would you say that generally the salaries in Madrid schools are lower or am I being swindled?

Cheers

11. I think you would regret it if you missed the chance to work and live in Madrid, it is a great city. I gather that most international schools in Spain pay local levels of salary, which are a lot lower than in the UK, so you are probably not being treated worse than anywhere else. At least yours is tax free. And you do get long, long summer holidays too.
    Teaching tends to be pretty stress free, especially if you have worked in a UK comp before.
    I came out a couple of years ago, and although I will never be rich, I do have a super lifestyle. And I enjoy teaching again.
    suzy