1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Lebanon?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by libra28, Oct 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. libra28

libra28 New commenter

Hi all
    Anyone have any idea about what its like teaching in Lebanon? Clearly part from the security issue, anyone have any experience of schools in Lebanon? Will appreciate any feedback. Thanks

2. davidbowiefan

davidbowiefan Established commenter

I had a colleague who taught there and enjoyed it although this was several years ago. He left while Hezbollah were exchanging rockets with the Israeli army and went back again once they had finished.

3. libra28

libra28 New commenter

Thanks davidbowiefan.....would be great to hear what he still makes of it in terms of the students and general lifestyle out there ... I know that the teachers pay tax ...if you could gain further insight then I wold be much obliged.
    Thank you

4. davidbowiefan

davidbowiefan Established commenter

Sorry but I no longer work with this person. All I know is that he had a positive experience.

If no-one else here can provide information on Lebanon, maybe you could try expat forums or (shudder) Dave's ESL outfit?

5. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

There is a chain of schools originating in Lebanon which operates on behaviourist principles. Staff are generally graduates but are not required to be qualified teachers. They are issued with a manual of instruction which must be followed to the letter. Clearly, this allows the 'teacher' little or no scope for flexibility or creativity.

6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

The current head of EY at my school worked there for 4 years and loved it. Although she was comparing it to the "sh@t shower" she worked at in Spain (her words).

Have you looked on Search for the different schools details? They will tell you exactly how much each school pays, what they provide in their package, and how much tax you pay.

7. Leebeez

Leebeez New commenter

Of the four schools mentioned in the International Schools Review, two look like they're reasonable places to work. The reviews portray the country in a very positive manner. We can't mention the names on this forum. On the *** you can, but as many many people have repeated ad nauseam on TES, many reviews on *** need to be taken with a bucket load of salt. However, it is in these situations (reports being second hand comments only) where *** is at its most useful

8. libra28

libra28 New commenter

Many thanks to all contributers....comments noted and appreciated!