1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Kuwait

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by verity470, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Hi,

Me and my husband have accepted an offer to teach in Kuwait (starting whenever their schools go back after the pandemic calms down).

My husband will be teaching Physics to KS4 and I'll be teaching Humanities to KS3. We've been given a package including flights and accommodation but we're not sure what it's going to be like!

I'm just wondering if anybody has been to Kuwait and can give us an idea of what to expect?

Thanks in advance to any replies!

Ps.
    We're wondering about teaching abroad for 5 years or so to save money and have talked about teaching in Dubai, Malaysia, or Kazakhstan in the future (if we don't enjoy Kuwait) .
    If anybody has perspective on that or suggestions of other places please share :)

2. funkymonkey

funkymonkey New commenter

There are quite a few threads on Kuwait. I taught there for two years. The school was quite an ordeal due to many of the students lack of interest in school. Others may have a different experience so its not right to make generalisations about every school.
    People stick it out for different reasons, saving money, no where else to go, can be an easy life, lots of holidays, 159 teaching days in my school when I was there, cheap flights to other countries, 120usd return to Mumbia, 100usd to Istanbul etc etc.

I found it dreary and boring. I am not a fan of shopping malls, which seems to be a big social past time. I would not say it was a terrible experience overall, but hell would have to freeze over before I went back there. I am not sure other Middle East countries are any better, Dubia is popular, so the wages are poor.

At the end of the day you can go and find out if its for you, and move on ASAP if it is not.

3. adultsocialcare

adultsocialcare Occasional commenter

Search the forum. You applied and accepted jobs before knowing what Kuwait / teaching Kuwaitis was like?

Looking at past threads, it looks like just about the last place anyone would go. The word "hell" does appear a lot. Also take note of widespread "adjustments" (abuse) of contracts recently. Schools there are forcing people to work through holidays if they want to be paid, not paying them for months on end, not paying bonuses, and I've read reports of salary haircuts in Kuwait this week.

Teaching students from Kuwait are top of most people's "never, ever, ever again" list, judging by forum posts. Think "bottom set year 9 last period on Friday" and apply that to 98% of students in all years after year 6.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  4. tica

tica New commenter

We worked in Kuwait for 10 years and taught some of the nicest kids we've ever come across so it really does depend on which school you are going to.
    Kuwait itself is probably no ones destination of choice but we enjoyed school, our kids got a good education, we had great holidays, made good friends and made money.
    It is what you make it!

desertestrella7 likes this.
  5. TinyTeacher92

TinyTeacher92 New commenter

Kuwait is what you make of it. I have been here for 3 years now I'm used to most of the issues that come with the country. There are 4 top schools which pay extremely well and have good learning environments. Below that, there are a couple of schools which are relatively well organised but don't pay anywhere near the same level. Then you have the rest of the schools which are the ones that most people on here talk about. If you are in one these schools then expect poor behaviour, lack of student/parental engagement, corruption etc.

In terms of Kuwait itself, it is a boring place to live once you've been here for a few months as there's only so many malls, coffee shops, restaurants you can visit before getting bored. I have stuck around because even though I don't work in one of the top schools that I mentioned about, I have managed to save well and travel the world. The summer holidays are long and you earn enough to pop over to UAE, Qatar or Bahrain for brunches if you wish.

You will have to turn a blind eye to the treatment of the 'lower skilled' expats and the corruption that exists throughout the entire country.

In terms of when you will start work, the government announced that schools will open on 4th August and haven't officially changed this message but the general consensus is that schools will be lucky to open in September unless the situation dramatically improves so be prepared for your start date to be delayed. Friends have also told me that the Kuwait Embassy in London is currently closed so legalising documents might be an issue (I have not checked this myself so this information may be incorrect).

Overall, I would say it's a good place to build cash and experience before moving on to a more desirable location. I will hopefully be moving to South East Asia next year Covid willing but would definitely consider returning for another year if that falls through.

If you have any specific questions then please feel free to send me a message.