1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Kuwait

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by e-ribeiro, Apr 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. e-ribeiro

e-ribeiro New commenter

Hi.
    I've got an offer for the next academic year (The English academy, Hawally).
    I read some poor reviews about schools in Kuwait.
    I'm interested to hear any feedback about the school, children's behaviour, accommodation, management.
    Thanks!

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

You are not supposed to mention specific schools, e-ribeiro. The TES Moderators will probably delete this thread.

3. e-ribeiro

e-ribeiro New commenter

Oh sorry. Didn't know that.
    Trying to edit but is not letting me do it

4. IndigoViolence

IndigoViolence New commenter

Head over to see the reviews of international schools, they have some scathing reports.

5. funkymonkey

funkymonkey New commenter

Don't know about the school but Kuwait is not the best country in the world to live or teach in. Plenty stick it out for the money but if that is not your priority then it's a tough gig. Not much to do there. I would avoid it like the plague.

abikuwait likes this.
  6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, I have never taught in Kuwait, but maybe it is not much worse (or better) than KSA or Qatar.

7. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

I'm here at the moment and have taught in Qatar. It all depends on your motivation for coming here to be honest. It's not as bad as everyone here will tell you but it's not fantastic either.

One thing I would say however is be aware of one thing. We've been under lockdown since the third week of February and curfew since the first week of March.

The coronavirus cases continue to rise and two districts have actually been sealed off with no-one allowed to enter or leave - they're bordered by barbed wire and roadblocks.

The airport is closed to incoming people (apart from Kuwaitis being repatriated and I hear that diplomats are on the list). If this is true then embassies will be closed meaning you won't be able to get the paperwork done.

Some school are in dire financial states because fees haven't been paid and the rest of this academic year has to be completed from August 4th. Parents have been given a choice - they can either do e-learning now, do a six week intensive block to finish the academic year on August 4th, or repeat the academic year. As teachers we're having to do the e-learning and the six week block with no extra pay.

In addition to this many teachers are being told that if they're not coming back they're not getting July and August salary. Those who are returning are being told they won't get July, August, and September's money until the end of September even if they stay in the country.

Add to this I think it is HIGHLY unlikely, even if you can get your paperwork completed, that the country will be freely open by the middle of July which is when you'd have to arrive in order to do the two weeks quarantine required.

The whole situation here right now is a mess (the Government to be fair were very proactive quickly but once the virus got out it just seemed to continuously rise).

I'd be as wary coming here as anywhere at the moment - maybe even more so.

But if you want to know about Kuwait itself let me know. It has good points and it has bad.

Landshark7, kstainsb and Luvsskiing like this.
  8. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Just reading this natural commentary of living in Kuwait under lockdown, should be all that is required to abandon any idea of moving to work in the country.

A nice touch not paying leaving teachers their summer pay and returning staff have 3 months salary held hostage till they are standing in the school again.

Here in Shanghai the family are off to Ikea for some shopping and lunch.

Luvsskiing likes this.
  9. m_alamin_we

m_alamin_we New commenter

I'll be joining you there :)

Eduardoadribeiro likes this.
  10. Eduardoadribeiro

Eduardoadribeiro New commenter

See you there! :)

11. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

Learn how to search the back posts on this forum for 'kuwait'. Plenty of stuff about it, nearly all bad.

abikuwait likes this.
  12. norwichred

Or alternatively speak to someone who is already here.

kstainsb likes this.
  13. m_alamin_we

Hey, I don't know how to private message or if it's even possible. I was wondering how your visa application went / is going? Did you have any issues?

14. norwichred

Is yours being processed then? That would be strange as the work visa can only be processed a few weeks before you arrive. It certainly shouldn’t be yet.

add to that the fact that the ministry is still closed, and will be now until the end of May as we go under 24 hour curfew from Sunday for three weeks and I’d be surprised if anything is being done on the visa front.

Luvsskiing likes this.
  15. m_alamin_we

Thanks. I just got the info about the process from the school. I'm still finding out how it works.

16. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

"Hawally"

Oh God, I'd forgotten about that. We used to get bussed over to a school there ........ Feeling ice cold now as the memories return ......

17. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

@m_alamin_we Is this your real name? Is this a photo of you? If so, I would suggest you change both. For the future, schools can sometimes/often trawl the site looking at comments. You might not always post non-controversial opinions and comments.

18. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

19. norwichred

Yeah, not the best district but it’s better than Mangaf! And you’re only a short walk from Marina! :D

20. m_alamin_we

Thanks, I've just updated pic. Not sure how to change display name.