1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Kuwait

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by aliz22, May 27, 2019.

1. aliz22

aliz22 New commenter

Hi guys, need your help please. I have applied for a teaching job in Kuwait and now realised I don't know what to do with things here in the UK. I have a mortgage on my house, if I leave the keys with my family to look after it, staying every now and then do I need to do anything? I'll continue to pay the mortgage, council tax and bills.... has anyone done this?

Or shall I cancel all bills, leave it unoccupied (inform my home insurance) and just pay for the mortgage and council tax?

What do you do with your car? Sell it?

Have I missed anything?What do I need to do guys? Please help.

Thank you, Zena

2. wanderman22

wanderman22 New commenter

I knew a guy who hired a property management company to rent out his house while he lived abroad. the income from the renters pretty well covered his mortgage.

3. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

Your home insurance will rocket, I paid over 900 quid for six months until our sale went through.

If you keep it, it gives you a base, but renting it out gives you an income. There are income tax implications if you keep a property in the UK that you live in from time to time - check HMRC website for guidance on residency for tax purposes.

4. bead

bead New commenter

You can always keep everything as is for the first term, then see how it goes. Tax implications are only if you earn income in the UK. Money earned abroad is tax free unless you go back to UK within a few months.
    I sold everything because I knew i would not be back for many years.

5. WatchYourTongue

WatchYourTongue New commenter

Can a close friend or family house sit for you? You could let them live there rent-free if they agree to pay the bills and keep it tidy (but you'll have to cover any broken down boiler, leaky roof etc).

As it's your first time overseas I wouldn't do anything drastic, you might be glad you have somewhere permanent to come back to with a vehicle. After a year away, if you are going to continue, sell the car and find a more permanent use for the house.

6. aliz22

aliz22 New commenter

Thank you all for your input. :)

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I am afraid that things might be just a little bit more complicated than you first thought, aliz22.

First of all, I would guess that your mortgage broker gave you a mortgage on the understanding that you would be living in this property. In the same way, your insurance company have given you house insurance on the same basis. Ditto Council Tax. If you are going to be out of the country for most of the year, for the forseeable future, then what might happen if there were to be a burst pipe or a burglary? Would everything be fine and dandy? I think that you are taking a big risk and you should have already discussed these matters with the relevant people. I have the impression that you have not done this.

Secondly, it always used to be the case that you would have to pay taxes on any income, unless you become "non-resident for the purposes of taxation". A good accountant will take you through the advantages and disadvantages of becoming non-resident.

No, you will not be staying in your house "now and then". Kuwait is not exactly round the corner, aliz22, so you will not be popping back for weekends. You probably will not want to come back for the Christmas holidays because (a) that would be blooming expensive and (b) the weather in Kuwait is quite pleasant during the "winter".

After you have discussed all of these matters with the relevant people, my advice would be to find a letting agent asap and a good accountant. Letting out your property in the UK while you are away in foreign parts is, in effect, a second stream of income. It is almost like having two salaries. You would be very unwise to leave the property empty for the next two years (most international schools give two year contracts) and my guess is that you will not want to return to teaching in the UK, once you have enjoyed the delights of teaching overseas.

And sell the car. You will probably need to buy a car in Kuwait.

omar_mukhtar likes this.
  8. aliz22

aliz22 New commenter

Thank you for your in depth reply 'the hippo' I realised there was a too much to condiser/do and I was better off staying put. So staying put I shall be.

9. the hippo

No, I was not recommending you to stay in the UK! Maybe moving to Kuwait would be a wonderful opportunity for you. It's just that you need to sort out a few things before moving overseas, especially if you have a property in the UK.

10. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I can see a school in Q8 advertising now with an offer of shared accommodation and the sad thing is teachers will apply to this school!

11. the hippo

Yes, old febbers has a point. What should we think about schools that are advertising teaching posts for August and now we are in June? What does that tell you? Shared accommodation? No, thank you.

12. CoastTeacher

CoastTeacher New commenter

Shared accommodation + Kuwait = LOL X 10

Unless I was hired to be a home school teacher to the child of some royal family and was offered my own wing in their palace, there is no way am I ever doing "shared accommodation"!

13. the hippo

Generally speaking, when schools advertise for teachers so late in the "recruitment season", this is usually a bad sign. Perhaps it is not always the case, but 9 times out of 10 someone has pulled out, as they realized that the pay and package are below par, or else the school miscalculated numbers of made a mess of something else. And shared accommodation is a big no no.

14. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Lets be honest here, this school has been open at least 20 years if my memory is correct. Hundreds of teachers have worked there, taken the shared accommodation, poor conditions and abuse by the owners.

It will continue for the next 20 years in the same way no matter how much we point the facts out to prospective teachers.

15. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

I haven't checked the adverts but I can possibly guess.

All I would say is there can always be other sides of the coin. People might be like the OP - accepted a position without really thinking things through and then withdrawing. It could happen......

I was warned off my school, and I am not there yet so things can change - but so far my experience has been nothing but positive.

We have a whatsapp group for all new staff with the entire senior management team in it, where we can talk to each other, introduce ourselves, and ask questions. We have a comprehensive induction program that has been emailed to us all. We have our classes for next year. Every email i have sent to HR or SMT has been replied to promptly and well.

We have messed them around endlessly over our required early arrival and they have been pleasant and efficient. they are letting us move into the accommodation very early. We have the school calendar and know when our holidays are....

We asked for pictures of the accomodation and it was promptly furnished to us. yes the accomodation is shared, but we wanted to for a family. We spoke to them and they were superb over that as well, negotiating with us.

When we said we wanted to arrive early they commenced our work permit earlier than they were planning.

So far, we have been extremely impressed. Of course, the proof of the pudding is in the eating but so far so very good.

omar_mukhtar likes this.
  16. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

17. norwichred

No I mean as a family we get accommodation to ourselves. We’ve actually got a choice as my partner has been offered accommodation too.

18. the hippo

I think that you meant your husband or your wife, norwichred. This is Kuwait we are talking about, so you do have a marriage certificate, don't you?

19. norwichred

I will have on the 20th June when we get married :)

20. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

Congrat
    Congratulations!