1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Kuching

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by christmas8, May 19, 2020.

1. christmas8

christmas8 New commenter

Hi
    Anyone taught here?
    How was it?

2. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

If that's Kuching, Sarawak no idea about working there but it was a fascinating place to be. Fantastic coast, history, mountains, wildlife, nature reserves. Orangutan reserve up there somewhere (Sabah?) and Kota Kinabalu was great and a ferry ran from there to Philippines I think. Hundreds of miles of riverways and boat taxis wizzing around them to the huge interior. One place had an airport that was about 30 meters parallel to the busy high st. Lots of little airport strips in the jungles, logging a major problem as is fires and smoke pollution across the entire region stretching to Singapore some years. Great food everywhere. Stayed (accidently) in a brothel in Kuching - I thought at the time the girls were all waiting outside the cheap hotel for their boyfriends for a night out! It was 30 years ago so I was young :). Islam a big thing there. Kuching was a largish city so I guess it's huge now? I was in Sabah and Sarawak a month and loved it. Might be an interesting base for a year or two working if the package is right.

mermy likes this.
  3. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Senior commenter

I love the whole island of Borneo and its people. Learn Malay. Kuching means " cat"
    Grew up in Brunei up the road. I could go on forever....

mermy and BlueHues like this.
  4. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

I echo what others said. Borneo was amazing to visit, I know it's not the same as living and working there, but there was so much to do for little money, I'm sure it would be a great adventure. If you have an offer and the package is good, then go for it.

5. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

I remember staying a few days in Bako National Park. Fantastic hiking, hardly anyone there except the proboscis monkeys. I think you had to book it in Kuching at the park head quarters a few days in advance, before setting off for the boat trip to the park. Kuching was a great base for exploring the interior. I remember hundreds of speedboat taxis lining up to take people all over the place in the morning, even to the Indonesian border and Kalimantan. This area is massive. Enter Kalimantan and it's about the same area as the UK, with cities and cultures you've never heard of - the world was shrinking and this was an exciting place to be, off the beaten track.

There's a great road trip (I used mainly boats, short hop flights and the odd bus) from Kuching to Kota Kinabalu, passing huge caves with billions of bats. If you are fit, don't miss the two day hike up Kinabalu's largest mountain in the area at around 4000m. I took a guide and he got me there to the top - knackering but unbelievable. There were some good beaches here as well on islands just off the city if I remember rightly. The orangutan reserve was really memorable, as they come down from the trees where they are living free range for feeding time when the tourists arrive. I went to a few elephant reserves, too. Back then you could take your life into your own hands and take an old ferry over to the Philippines, and then hop through hundreds of islands to Manila. Ahh, memories.

Not the same as working there I know, but if you are young and adventurous, why not go there? Must go back one day ....

6. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Teaching there.
    Salary: don't expect high salaries.
    Kids: nice, driven kids. Very Asian respectful kids who value education.

Doesn't have a high staff turn around. Teachers love the life there and or have made their money elsewhere.

7. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Senior commenter

See Miri and Niah caves. I'd love to go back one day.

8. TheComputingTeacher

TheComputingTeacher New commenter

I will be there next year what do you want to know? @christmas8